Is copying of great things and showing our hand work, legal or not?

Did Verisign Steal Axis Bank’s Logo?

In 2010, Verisign sold its authentication business unit to Symantec (the makers of the Norton Anti-Virus suite) for $1.28 billion. Verisign manages two of the world’s 13 Internet root servers.

Shortly after the deal was made, Verisign introduced a new “V” logo.
[​IMG]

What is unbelievable is that it looks like a complete rip-off of Axis Bank‘s logo; just flipped vertically.
[​IMG]

The Axis Bank logo was introduced in the year 2007 after the bank, one of India’s largest private sector lender, announced that it would be changing its name from UTI Bank and that it would be exercising a complete re-branding of the bank.

Source: Did Verisign Steal Axis Bank’s Logo? by Archit Tantia

By the way, has anyone heard of the automobile company, Mitsubishi? Their logo is:
[​IMG]

Can you find from where Axis Bank had stolen the logo from? Filling the gaps!!! 😛

Source: Myself! 😛

Now CEans, the right question is,

Is copying of great things and showing our hand work, legal or not?

When a top most security company has done something like this, and when a big bank firm has done something like this, what is wrong in a budding designer like us, doing this??? 😀

Replies

• silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    Well, 'A' when inverted looks a lot like 'V' too.

Why do you think it's a copy? Why can't it be a coincidence? With all the companies, and all their logos, there are definitely bound to be similarities or supposedly copied logos. And more important is, you can't ensure that the logo you are using is absolutely original all the time. It's also not necessary to do so, especially if the parties in question are not direct competitors. In this case, Axis bank is definitely not a competitor in any way to Verisign.

You can go through these..
    Similar logos, when designs look alike | Logo Design Love
    #-Link-Snipped-#

So, from automobiles to sports wear to cold drinks to operating systems, there are many places where logos are very much similar to each other. And we can only say that they are coincidences, as no one deliberately designs their logos to resemble some other logo.

And finally,
    Praveen-Kumar
    When a top most security company has done something like this, and when a big bank firm has done something like this, what is wrong in a budding designer like us, doing this??? 😀
    We should not do something just because some big firm is doing it.. Plagiarism is bad, regardless of who does that. If as a budding designer you design a logo, and by chance it did resemble some other well known logo, that's ok. But just because some other big firm supposedly copied another logo, doesn't mean when you do it, it's ok.
  • Vivien.hugo
    Vivien.hugo
    If it's the coincidence we should forgive. But if the two look much like each other, more than 90%. Maybe is not just coincidence.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I don't think it's coincidence or copy. Almost everything in this world has at least one another thing that resembles in looks. Ultimately those are geometric shapes that we see in the logos of most of the companies.

"Copying" is not good and stealing is a strict 'no'. But looking at the battles of Apple and Samsung over the designs; it seems to me that the copyrights and patent laws should be given another look. Anything that makes the things better should made available for others. Of course that just a thought.
  • K!r@nS!ngu
    K!r@nS!ngu
    427651_341010712599248_275285939171726_1148606_1958054059_n

Some more Copy Cats...
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    @Praveen -How can you say that it's copy?

Okay, Same kind of question my friend asked me once And my reply to her is -
    See, One day you liked my dress very much. What did you do? You asked me the details like shop name, price etc etc. and you went to the shop and bought the dress. Fine, but you stitched it on your own way. It's a same piece but stitching/designing is different. My point is model is same, but you designed it on your own requirements.
    Now you can say that dresses don't have patent rights. I said this for an example of a human feeling. Hope this might be a reason with some of them, who knows? I can't see any thing wrong in doing so.

@Kiran - If you keep on browsing the web you can see plenty of things like what you've posted. You can't call them as copy cats.
  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    Guys, check this out...

Enya - Lothlorien [Lord of the Rings Soundtrack]

- YouTube
    Once More - Tamil Movie starring Vijay, Simran and Sivaji Ganesan. Check out at 5 mins 15 secs. What a public copy!!! 😲
    For a better version, check this out:
    orumuraisollvaya01h56m37s 02h11m12s - YouTube
    It was kind of a hit movie in Tamil Cinema... And the music is an untouched copy! 😲 What do you think of this?
  • ShrinkDWorld
    ShrinkDWorld
    I just want to pull your attention to heading of the thread. Check my signature. Did you visit my link?
    There is one thing, that is ctrl+c & ctrl+v. Now what you say about it whether it is legal or not?
  • CE Designer
    CE Designer
    If they are two totally different companies selling totally different products/services then law would not see it as wrong. It would be wrong if similar logos would confuse customers or if it were an attempt to use an established company's trademark for the benefit of your own. If it is proven that no confusion will take place then no wrong is given.
    In this case its two totally different companies. Its alos just one letter in the logo in question, it would be ridiculous to argue this in court.
  • CE Designer
    CE Designer
    This reminds me, I read about the movie Jodi Breakers starring Bipasha Basu directed by Ashwini Chaudry. It was alledged that the producer copied the French film Heartbreakers. The lawyers looked at the film and found no similarities.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    CE Designer
    This reminds me, I read about the movie Jodi Breakers starring Bipasha Basu directed by Ashwini Chaudry. It was alledged that the producer copied the French film Heartbreakers. The lawyers looked at the film and found no similarities.
    Take any film idea/concept and put it into Indian Context, you get something profoundly dissimilar, that doesn't mean they shouldn't give credit to the original story. But then, it could be a marketing gimmick.
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    #-Link-Snipped-#

why should anyone bother if a logo has been copied ? in what way is the party, whose logo got copied, losing.
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    @ kiran singy

did mercedes benz really copy its logo from somebody else ?
  • bluearth
    bluearth
    Guys, be in real world!!
    wht does ur eyes say?
    Dont they look similar...... wht evr relevant or irrelevant product they are selling..
    Dont speak up on that, any big advertising agnecy gets the contract to design that logo....& SO CALLED COINCIENDENCE HAPPENS...i must say what a coincidence.
    May be tomorrow u clone urself and one starts walking upside down " one would say its just conincidence no surprise son!

Hey praveen thats true wht u meantioned man.
  • manishks
    manishks
    Yes! It might be a coincidence.
    But sometimes it can also be a marketing gimmic! As we see in case of chinese phones! Their phone designs are so similar to other branded phones. Any way we know they are chinese phones. But people do buy a phone(chinese) which looks like some other branded phone say lumia 800. Here chinese phone designs are copied from other already popular phones to increase their sales.
    But Pravin is talking about two big players of their respective field. Even verisign would be knowing that people would raise questions if they copy someone else's logo. Also verisign and axis bank, both belong to different fields!
    So i dont think verisign tried to copy the logo. Instead its definitly a coincidence. Because verisign wont have any profit if they copy axis banks logo.
    But who knows ,may be versign would have found axis's logo extremly cool!! So they made a similar logo 😛
    Similar! Lolz... If you rotate something vertical, you say that as similar?
  • manishks
    manishks
    Praveen-Kumar
    Similar! Lolz... If you rotate something vertical, you say that as similar?
    Ya ya its almost an exact copy!! 😀 companies should do a proper research before finalizing a logo! If intention is of copying, nothing we can do about that!
    manishks
    Ya ya its almost an exact copy!! 😀 companies should do a proper research before finalizing a logo! If intention is of copying, nothing we can do about that!
    And yeah, what will people think about Verisign after knowing that they have done this? 😲
  • Prasad Ajinkya
    Prasad Ajinkya
    I dont see them using that logo anymore.
    kidakaka
    I dont see them using that logo anymore.
    Search for verisign logo in Google Image Search and you can find a few. It has not yet been publicly released I guess... 😀
  • manishks
    manishks
    Praveen-Kumar
    Search for verisign logo in Google Image Search and you can find a few. It has not yet been publicly released I guess... 😀
    And if somehow they have a look at this thread! They will never make it public 😛
    manishks
    And if somehow they have a look at this thread! They will never make it public 😛
    How many of them would have found out and made fun or their image would have spoilt! 😲 What a big company they are?
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    #-Link-Snipped-# You see the in doing permutation and combinations, things often get repeated to a certain degree. However, the original product and derived product are majorly different.

Sada
    Now you can say that dresses don't have patent rights. I said this for an example of a human feeling. Hope this might be a reason with some of them, who knows? I can't see any thing wrong in doing so.
    Speaking of same dress material, I could not resist posting this image!

[​IMG]

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi guys, did anyone try the Belkin C10 Music receiver gadget? It offers connectivity over Bluetooth to stream music to any speaker system of your choice. 😀
This thread is in response to what i saw in this other thread: https://www.crazyengineers.com/community/threads/its-a-bike-its-a-car-its-a-bikecar.52439/ I haven't encoutered gyroscopes much in my experience and i am struggling to understand how they...
hi....... actually we are doin this project as our final year project so we want some base papers of this so plz ........
Guys we are live from TiECon Nagpur. Keep checking this thread for updates. Feel free to interact with us thrrough the comments. Post your thoughts in this thread.
I'd always like to collect good quotes/points. And I just want to post here also. I'm just summarizing the Points here from our CEans Live Coverage of Day-1 TieCon Napur...