Is company experience really necessary?

hello everyone!

Here's another question. does experience in an engineering firm while you're studying engineering necessary? does it effect your first jobs?
what do employers look at for a first time engineer aka junior engineer (with 0 years of experience).

EE nano

Replies

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Good question, Quan.
    I don't think it is necessary to have work experience before you complete your degree course but it will look great on your resume. It's like a cherry on the cake. Moreover, it is great from practical knowledge gaining point-of-view.
    Employers will generally look for a candidate who is technically strong, has the potential to work in teams and learn new things.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    If you have any training or any project work in any firm during your Study then it will give some extra points to your resume but it not MUST required thing.
  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    Company experience makes you to work well with the practical issues and you would be having a lot of past experiences, the mistakes not to be done. So, your performance will be greater compared to a fresher. For Eg., you have faced an X issue and you got it again, you know the workaround for this and you can solve it easily as you had a previous experience. But what if you are facing it for the first time. This is what I tried to stress. I have faced these kind of issues!
  • narayana murthy
    narayana murthy
    in my view it depends on us because we can gain some knowledge on practical as theory can't make all
  • buzzparas
    buzzparas
    have that edge which will make you stand out of the crowd, thereafter you will not require any experience and qualification
  • EEnano
    EEnano
    HI everyone,
    thanks for all the replies guys, i just got back from vacation so haven't had time to replies.

i heard from my brother in law that your first jobs will determine what kind of engineer you will be. As in, if i got a job in fabrication then i will be a fabrication engineer, if i got a job in power then i'll be a power engineer. i really want to do fabrication but what will increase my chance of getting the job i want?

Thanks

EE nano
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    There are tons of fresh graduates who've gotten a job of their choice without any prior experience or internship. However, an internship which actually allows you to work on real life projects will expose you to how things in any industry/company move. It will prepare you better for the job.

i heard from my brother in law that your first jobs will determine what kind of engineer you will be. As in, if i got a job in fabrication then i will be a fabrication engineer, if i got a job in power then i'll be a power engineer. i really want to do fabrication but what will increase my chance of getting the job i want?
    It's true to some extent, but not always. There are people who start with one job and then realize it that it's not for them and then then land into an entirely different or related career. But such cases are rare. People usually compromise and move on. If you want to get into fabrication related job - then you should look for experience, internship which will give you first hand experience in the same domain. Any recruiter or company will want to recruit candidates who are technical strong and are fit to work in their teams. Prior experience will give you an edge over others for sure. But even before that - a solid foundation in theory is an absolute must.
  • elohim
    elohim
    It depends on us because we can gain some knowledge on practical as theory can't make all

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hello everyone i know that the USB stick works using electron tunneling and traps but i still can't picture it in my head how it works please explain! Thanks EEnano
dear sir,i am a metallurgical engineer and i am much interested in metallurgical engineering products(foundry,heat treatment of ferrous and non-ferrous alloys,shaping techniques and surface coatings and hardening techniques and material...
Apple has overtaken Google as the world's most valuable brand, ending a four-year reign by the internet search leader. The iPhone and iPad maker's brand is now worth $153 billion...
As LG’s already been rolling with its ‘FPR 3D TV’ or ‘Cinema 3D TV’ in India or in many other nations. So LG receives a very good response from the...
Prof.P.B.Sunil Kumar, Department of Physics, IIT Madras explained the concept of Programming Basics in Numerical Analysis and Computer Programing. Feel free to share your ideas and ask your doubts here......