Is cloud storage killing the traditional storage media like discs & flash drives?

The ever growing adoption of the cloud storage services and the falling prices have made more people aware of cloud storage systems. The services like Amazon and Dropbox make it very easy to upload / download your files from anywhere in the world. I see that the tech world is already predicting the death of traditional storage media like the CDs, DVDs and Blu-Ray discs.

With the device sizes going thinner every day, the hardware manufacturers are opting to remove the optical drives, adding more to the growth of cloud storage.

Do you think we're heading towards the future that will be free of traditional storage media? Should we be okay with it, because some service or company ultimately will be in charge of our data, ultimately.

What's your take?

Replies

• Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Cloud storage is totally rely on bandwidth, availability of internet (low cost) and storage capacity...
    Which is yet far away.
    Floppy/DVD ware local drive and we still use flash drives/ex-hdd.
    If there is end of local drives why mobile devices are coming with up-to 64GB.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    We cannot call it killing, but it is phasing out . But as Anoop mentioned, accessing data on cloud needs one to have an active internet connection, even though cloud computing is making a foothold, we still have TB harddrives which are flooding the market to store the 'oh-so-very-personal' data .
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    I use cloud service but i never upload personal data.
    And you know guys have too much of personal datas ;-)
    As cloud storage service is in initial phase there can be many loopholes in security ,also when bandwidth is less,cloud storage can be pain to use.
    I prefer external hdds for heavy files.

I dont think cloud service will kill the old-school storages. But dusk of gaming consoles & PC operating system discs has begun.
  • sweet_honey
    sweet_honey
    I think the usage of cds will stay in future also. Now also we have to submit our projects in cds. The important datas are still stored in cds or pd bcoz the net access is not possible all the time needed..

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Fore Bearing - Back Bearing = 180? OR Back Bearing - Fore Bearing = 180. I fully understood the concept of meridian and bearing 😀 😲 But this thing is...
XBOX and Playstation latest versions were launched about 6-7 years ago and the graphics / gaming industry has evolved a lot in the few years. Looking at the growth rate,...
Just want to know whether the 'Invite Friends' feature is useful or not and how many of you have really used it? The intention is not to 'spam' all of...
Google's launched (and promoting it through their homepage) a new program for the entrepreneurs, called 'Google For Entrepreneurs' : https://www.google.com/entrepreneurs/ . Through the program, Google will host a number of...
Mahindra Quanto compact SUV can safely be called as the most awaited launch of this year. It is the first sub-4metre vehicle which is capable of seating 5+2 people. The...