Is Chetan Bhagat A Motivational Speaker?

Famous author of hit books like Five Point Someone, A Night @ Call Center, The Three Mistakes Of My Life and 2 States is no doubt the most popular author among Indian Engineering Students.

Upon my recent visit to a college, I heard a group of students discussing Chetan Bhagat. Someone from the group said he's the best motivational speaker ever. I found it bit surprising and decided to put the question to all our CEans.

I've read Chetan's speech at Symbiosis and it's really good!

Do you think Chetan Bhagat is a motivational speaker? To the best of my knowledge, the books authored by Chetan are regular-life stories (with fiction).

PS: Declaration: I think the tone of this post is bit negative. Trust me, I've no intention of questioning Chetan's abilities as Motivational Speaker. It's just that I found it bit amusing.

Replies

• shreyasm89
    shreyasm89
    I think it is upto us whether we want to derive motivation from a person. Chetan Bhagat's speech at Symbiosis was truly an eye-opener! But his stories are no big motivations for us because sometimes people just can't relate to it. No doubt, he is an achiever, but as he himself admits that he is nothing but 'an ordinary guy who has the conviction to pursue his dreams' So I would say he is very good at writing articles and narration but not a 'motivational speaker'
  • slugger
    slugger
    IIT Grad, IIM passout - achievements that itself should've motivated all aspiring (Engineering+MBA)-types

unfortunately through his Sunday TOINS columns, he, more often than not, comes out sounding like a pure, unadulterated idiot, especially with his stand on Jammu & Kashmir.

His novels, 1st two that I had read, left me highly underwhelmed with its unremarkable language.

All in all I felt Chetan Bhagat represents a case of wasted Government resources

P.S: Not heard or read his speech at Symbiosis
  • Gurjeet Singh
    Gurjeet Singh
    it depends on the person they find the motivational thoughts in the chetan's voice as some how indirectly ,books of chetan bhagat are connected to youth very much.but as in true i don't think so he is a motivational speaker.
  • ritesh05
    ritesh05
    @ biggie - if anybody miss it then read 'spark's ' by chetan bhagat an article published on time of india u will definetly get an idea how motivatioal he is . nobody can judge by his qualification buddy nor through his books.
    @ shreyasm - it doesn't depend on us it depeds on the motivator how he attract u, how he connects with u biggest eg swami vivekanad. he never forced nobel margret to come india and serve for the people of india .
  • shreyasm89
    shreyasm89
    @ritesh- Yes you are right, the person himself attracts us, but deriving motivation is different. For inspiration you don't need to relate to his situation. Even a tribe living in the remotest corner of the Amazon forest in Africa can motivate you, if you have the will & patience to understand his way of life. I mean Chetan Bhagat is really good when it comes to portraying an ordinary man's life. But for motivation we need someone who has succeeded struggling against all odds. Here the discusssion is baout whether he is a motivational speaker or not! No one is questioning his achievements & ability. We are just zeroing down on his role in the scheme of things.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hey!!! can any1 please help me with kernel hacking??? what exactly is it? i am completely ignorant.. please help...😕
It is assignment given to us by our instructor and I still don't know what's the answer. Find the inverse matrix using gaussse-jordan method. A= 1 3 2 4 5...
hi.. guys... i'm designing and fabricating a two stroke engine... will someone pl.. temme how to mesure the power output of my engine?.. i mean in terms of bhp ...
hi friends.... this is deepak.... pl.. do all help me out to become a crazy engineer as i'm not so...
ASUS U43Jc from U Series Bamboo collection notebooks is a notebook worth looking at if you’re looking to buy a ‘green laptop’. The U Series features a smoky brown bamboo...