Is burying nuclear waste deep underground a workable option?

Nuclear energy is actually very clean energy. Yet the hazards of the spent fuel and structuaral damage by earthquakes is making it difficult for nations to go in for this. One suggested option is to bury spent fuel very deep underground possibly out of the way from natural calamities.

Is this a viable option?

Replies

• Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    bioramani
    Nuclear energy is actually very clean energy. Yet the hazards of the spent fuel and structuaral damage by earthquakes is making it difficult for nations to go in for this. One suggested option is to bury spent fuel very deep underground possibly out of the way from natural calamities.

Is this a viable option?
    As Nuclear element has a long life time even if we are going to bury it in deep underground it may causes some abnormal activity there and it may be dangerous in future.
  • aarthivg
    aarthivg
    bioramani

Is this a viable option?
    NO.
    It also involves a large land and stable geologic formation.
    And some radio active elements have half-lives longer than one million years and its difficult to control them from leakage for many years.

I hope, researches are going on for recycling the nuclear waste
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Most nuclear spent fuel have half lives in the region of 700 to 800 years. India is in the quiet zone of the seismic map of the world.
    We should not throw the baby out with the bath water. Emotions tend to run high whenever nuclear power is discussed.
  • pratap singh, upendra
    pratap singh, upendra
    India is in the quiet zone of the seismic map of the world.

this doesn't mean that we can take the risk of burying the spent fuel in Indian soil. Remember that the nuclear waste tend to bring about modifications in the profile of the soil as a whole and under such conditions, it can lead to disastrous results including degradation of soil quality and strength. This would definitely invite natural calamity to take its toll on fellow countrymen.

God forbade, if such happens our land will no longer be in the quiet zone of the seismic map of the world.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    The waste is not buried in the raw state. If encased properly, there is no effect on the surrounding soil. It will cetainly have no bearing on seismic activity. After all, even now the nuclear ores are underground. In areas of Kerala, it Ilmenite ore is on some beaches.
  • akash.kasina
    akash.kasina
    this idea may sound crazy but what if we disposed the waste in space,no living thing will be affected there!๐Ÿ˜
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    One can just lob it into the sun, which is already a nuclear furnace. Cost is the problem.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Name:VINEET EAPEN *Engineering Trade:INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY Location:CHENNAI,TAMIL NADU *Occupation: (Student|Working|Self-Employed|Unemployed; details please!) STUDENT Work Experience: (if applicable) NIL ...STILL A STUDENT *Hobbies & Interests: Reading books,listening to songs etc....... *Aim in...
Hi friends, when i connect my western Digital external Had disk (Mypassport) 500Gb, it's detected Initio default controller device. so i can't get my partition's please help me. i try...
What is the difference between machine and device ? Are these only two names for the same entity? Can we call a machine a machine a device and vice versa? Looking forward...
I really need some topics for my thesis. I'm an ECE student! I would like to have a thesis which is not currently existing yet will be beneficial to the...
Nipun Mehta's speech on graduation day at University of Pennsylvania got a standing ovation. It is inspiring. https://dl.dropbox.com/u/27178479/Travelers.doc