Is Academic Success An Indication Of Success In Life?

Above question was asked to fashion show finalists at an engineering college that I attended yesterday.

Without fail, about 70% candidates answered that, "Even if we don't have good marks in exams, we can still get a good job".

I'd like to hear your opinions.

Replies

• slugger
    slugger
    Academic Success many not be "An Indication Of Success In Life" but it will definitely ensure an easier path towards success in life, even if the eventual success, in theory, had nothing to do with your academic success.
    Especially true in India, where academic performance, however irrelevant to your final chosen line of work will be used to evaluate your competence in the first few years of your professional career.

Yes, say like 8-10 years in the professional field, your marks in the 6th semester Metrology & Quality Control papers will become irrelevant, and only your achievements at workplace will be the deciding factor, but till then, however unjustified or foolish it may be, but marks will open doors much faster than poor marks

Good academic performance is like a lubricant in a mechanical system performing motion - you can still perform motion without it, but having it will make your job that much more easier
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I believe it is an indication of success in life. Yes there are few exceptions who were toppers but haven't done very well in life. Most of the toppers are happy in their jobs now. They haven't achieved anything remarkable in life, but haven't failed miserably as well.
  • Neema Ambhurkar
    Neema Ambhurkar
    Academic success might not always be an indication of success in life but good academics sure can make life a bit simpler. It also means that academic success is not always a criterion for a person to rise and shine in his/her life. I believe that a successful life is the one which you have always hoped for and it may be related to any field.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Nion
    I believe that a successful life is the one which you have always hoped for and it may be related to any field.
    +100 on that! ๐Ÿ˜€
  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    Well, I would like to add something here. Only in India, we have this idiotic caste system based education stuff, where people are grouped and cannot shine well. Moreover, here they are focussing on people, who have the degree stuff and not the talent, which is not in the case of US and UK. So, I guess, the whole academic practice should be changed. ๐Ÿ˜”
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    In many parts of the world, we do a mistake of calling 'knowledge' and 'information' as two same things. Information is something that can be stored and retrieved. (That's what our education expects from us. They shape our brain to function in this way- mug up and verbalize it on paper!

Whereas, Knowledge is the application of information in some or the other area of our interest.
    Suppose we know 1 to 100 numbers. But we don't know how to calculate simple interest. That information is of no use.
    Sadly, in Indian education system they teach us the alphabets and numbers of every field, but they don't let the students explore their creativity.
    Hence, in a country where academics demand piles of information being stored in the minds of the masses, success in that sector is in no way related to overall success in life.
    AbraKaDabra
    Knowledge is the application of information in some or the other area of our interest.
    Well, what is skill then?
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Skill is when you have achieved prowess and proficiency in the way of application of all the information you have.
    A knowledgeable person may not be skillful.
    But a skillful person is most of the times very knowledgeable. ๐Ÿ˜€
    But what we learnt was, Skill is application of knowledge with the help of experience... ๐Ÿ˜€
  • H.Ali
    H.Ali
    slugger
    Academic Success many not be "An Indication Of Success In Life" but it will definitely ensure an easier path towards success in life, even if the eventual success, in theory, had nothing to do with your academic success.
    Especially true in India, where academic performance, however irrelevant to your final chosen line of work will be used to evaluate your competence in the first few years of your professional career.

Yes, say like 8-10 years in the professional field, your marks in the 6th semester Metrology & Quality Control papers will become irrelevant, and only your achievements at workplace will be the deciding factor, but till then, however unjustified or foolish it may be, but marks will open doors much faster than poor marks

Good academic performance is like a lubricant in a mechanical system performing motion - you can still perform motion without it, but having it will make your job that much more easier
    really true.....๐Ÿ˜€
  • H.Ali
    H.Ali
    AbraKaDabra
    In many parts of the world, we do a mistake of calling 'knowledge' and 'information' as two same things. Information is something that can be stored and retrieved. (That's what our education expects from us. They shape our brain to function in this way- mug up and verbalize it on paper!

Whereas, Knowledge is the application of information in some or the other area of our interest.
    Suppose we know 1 to 100 numbers. But we don't know how to calculate simple interest. That information is of no use.
    Sadly, in Indian education system they teach us the alphabets and numbers of every field, but they don't let the students explore their creativity.
    Hence, in a country where academics demand piles of information being stored in the minds of the masses, success in that sector is in no way related to overall success in life.
    ***yes, the system have to be changed.
    for that the politicians will never take interest.we the students have to work for that.
    i think this is the best platform for moulding a NEW EDUCATION SYSTEM.
    we may collect suggestions and send it to the authorities.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    @H.Ali: Do you think that if we send a letter to the authorities demanding modifications in the system, they will happily agree?
    If yes, let's do it. If no, what else can be done?
  • H.Ali
    H.Ali
    @ Abra usually the NCERT will invite suggestions from the public before revising the syllabus for the schools and also for the all india engineering entrance exam.
    many universities also invite suggestions before revising sylabus.
    the previous year NCERT published a press release inviting suggestions for revising the structure of AIEEE.
    i'm not sure that they will consider it,but we can try our best for the future generation.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    @H. Ali: That is good. ๐Ÿ˜€ I think students should form a group and take initiative in sending them suggestions.
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    OK let's go. What is the point in discussion now? If anyone is ready to take initiative go ahead. We are behind you.
    What say H.Ali and Abra?
  • H.Ali
    H.Ali
    oh !! v had gone away frm the topic .
    @ishu :defenitely v r trying to make a change.in kerala both the school and collage sylabus has changed a little bit from the traditional way.but the problem is it remains in the paper itself. most of teachers are following the traditional method.even though the question paper pattern will be of new sylabus the ansewer key will be traditional.
  • H.Ali
    H.Ali
    coming to the topic ,
    in my view academic excellence show the regularity and punctuality of the student and to a limit his ablity and skills can be understood . but we cannot depend on marks alone,because now a days most of the students are doing malpractices in the exams and just studying for scoring marks alone.
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    @H.Ali: May I know what initiatives you are taking? As far as I can understand from your posts that you are going a good way. Best of luck. But can you really share with us what exactly are you doing?

as for the traditional way, I think it will go away as time proceeds. You will succeed in your endeavor. ๐Ÿ˜€
  • narayana murthy
    narayana murthy
    in my view only knowledge is important than everything
    getting less marks in exams indicates that we have less presentation skills or less preparation
    but not we have less grip on subject
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    Can we change the pattern of exams?
    We can make it more interactive. Do you know we can use books and written formula when we tackle with real life engineering problem?

But if we use books during exam, then people call we are cheating!
    Why is this difference in real life and theory exam?
    According to me Exams should be similar to real life problems.
    We can do one thing. We can make it as a personal interview type. Students will be provided with everything example books, internet and they should bring about the best possible answer.
    What say? ๐Ÿ˜€
  • H.Ali
    H.Ali
    @ishu:i'm only a first year student and my efforts is comparably less. but i'am not at all satisfied by this education system in which the students pass the exams with good marks ,but fails well in life.
    stricly saying i dont what to do in this issue.i'm just supporting everyone who work for reformation in this field.
    as i quoted in my locality the sylabus is revising year by year , at the problem is its not get working.
    especially the internal marks.the students will copy assingments blindly,even they dont know the name of the topic.internal exams are just for fun teachers will give some questions earlier and students will blindly take that and copy to the paper,if the same question is asked indirect, they will say its out of sylabus.
    i think this problem occurs because the students aim at the marks ,not at the knowledge.
    proper counciling should be done to the students,teachers as well as parents.
    some educational org doing this....
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    OK H.Ali, don't worry. i was just suggesting things. That's all. Just smile. ๐Ÿ˜€
  • yanivx
    yanivx
    praveenscience
    Well, what is skill then?
    Skill is something which you have earned after sheer perseverance and by making a lot of mistakes...... and a person who is said to be skillfull doesn't repeats his mistake mostly......
  • yanivx
    yanivx
    Academic success is certainly not the indication of success in life we have examples of many such people who where not the toppers but the thing is one should be really very good in something.....actually everyone has something in him/her only thing that requires is realizing those hidden..... talents and once u become aware of your strengths no one can stop you from achieving what you are destined to..... i would like to conclude academic success alone cannot indicate success in life..... God bless us all ๐Ÿ˜
  • Elizabeth Ruda
    Elizabeth Ruda
    First, you need to define "success in life." Money? Fame? Contributions to humanity? Personal satisfaction and happiness? Contributions to the happiness and welfare of your personal circle (e.g., children)?

For all of these, especially the last two, it seems easier to argue the negative. "Academic performance" sounds like "good grade, good test scores," and there are going to be lots of contrary examples. However, maybe you can define "academic performance" in terms of willingness to learn, grow, and work hard, and make a better case. Those who aren't willing to learn and grow don't seem as likely to be successful in any way.

Good luck, and keep us posted!
    - Elizabeth.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I am facing some problem in a sql query here is the scenario I have 6 tables, where one of them is parent table and other are child table Primary...
Hi all, I always wondered about the small cylindrical shaped thing in the end of laptop charging cable, mouse/keyboard cable etc...I thought it would be for some protection or something....
How can i add links in my signatures? Everyone is using but i can't ๐Ÿ˜•
i have done my engineering in computer sceince and now i was thinking of mphil..... i want a post graduation course that gives good package but is not that hard.........
Here are a few suggestions: 1. If it's a short distance that you have to travel, walk to your destination. Avoid using vehicles. 2. Don't use paper unless its very...