iPhone 5S Home Button To Act As Fingerprint Scanner As Well

Apple's next iPhone, the iPhone 5S will have a special home button. According to reports, the convex sapphire home button will also act as a 'fingerprint' scanner - so that it knows when it's in the hands of its real master. With the popularity of smartphones acting as personal data, media storage device, the security features of these devices is more important than ever before. It's obvious that Apple wants to add a new dimension to the phone security. Including a biometric sensor looks like a logical step. Regular readers of CrazyEngineers may remember our recent post about an Apple patent that talks about including #-Link-Snipped-# in the phone's screen.

slide

AppleInsider claims that the iPhone 5S will have the fingerprint scanner in the home button instead of the display. Apple had acquired a company called AuthenTec last year that worked in biometric sensors. Apple could have used their technology in the upcoming iPhone.

Inclusion of the fingerprint analysis technology could be very interesting - as it may open up move ways of interacting with the phone. If Apple chooses to let the developers access the sensor (which could lead to potential security threats), we can expect more innovative ways of accessing your digital content and playing games. Most importantly, the move would put Apple's gadget ahead of the those from rivals like Google, Microsoft, Nokia & Blackberry in terms of overall security.

We'd like to ask all of you how do you think the fingerprint scanner can be used apart from unlocking the device and identifying the owner. Maybe there'll be a setting that will display a funny insult if anyone other than the verified owner tries to unlock the phone.

Source: Apple's 'iPhone 5S' to boast fingerprint sensor embedded in convex sapphire home button | AppleInsider

Replies

• Churchill2
    Churchill2
    This gonna be the good feature in iphone for security concerns.
    As stated unlocking the phone can be done only by the owner himself its quite embarrassing,
    Instead they can use this technology for mobile money transactions or payments, it can also be used for its cloud services and specified locations which the user finds that should be protected..
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    I love to lock the apps that needs some privacy.
    Apple is consistantly renovating themselves and this makes them stable.
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    This is an expected move but I was also expecting it to be in the screen itself. That would have been better. Many people complain about Home Button malfunctioning, so that can come into its way. And anyways Apple is launching fingerprint identification is 5S so it can be expected that other competitors will launch it in their upcoming models and with proper rectification and better development.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    On a second thought, the scanner in the screen may not be a very good idea. I like it being a part of the home button. I think the position is quite natural. I doubt Android makers will introduce it. I expect Samsung to come up with their own answer to it. Samsung's already doing a fantastic job of skinning Android.
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    Kaustubh Katdare
    On a second thought, the scanner in the screen may not be a very good idea. I like it being a part of the home button. I think the position is quite natural. I doubt Android makers will introduce it. I expect Samsung to come up with their own answer to it. Samsung's already doing a fantastic job of skinning Android.

The idea in the home button seems good, but what about the cases when it goes defective? And I think HTC will take on this feature before Samsung. They according to me are better developers than Samsung. Samsung has captured the market only due to extensive range in models in variant price range.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Apple product failures are rarely reported But it they are going to use pressure sensors instead of image sensors for finger print detection then we are having a little tough time in actually using it
  • prahu mac
    prahu mac
    seems like a real nice move by apple in this era where technology is everything!!!!
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    My eyes are all set on Samsung! 😏
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    prahumac
    seems like a real nice move by apple in this era where technology is everything!!!!
    Apple really did some wonders with tech in 5s But will the model attract people Not sure the failure of iPhone5 is a clear example to that
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Kaustubh Katdare
    My eyes are all set on Samsung! 😏
    Samsung will once more come on top when they bring their display marvel in their screen till then they are out of the contention list
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    Conqueror
    Apple really did some wonders with tech in 5s But will the model attract people Not sure the failure of iPhone5 is a clear example to that

Iphone 5 was a failure and this is not a new fact. And I dont find much hope in Iphone 5S either. Unless Apple does some real miracle in it. Fingerprint scanner is a good move for now, but Apple won't boost up its sales just on the basis of it.
  • David Fox
    David Fox
    Nice feature all together. A little crazy that it's gotten to the point where finger print technology is being used for cell phones, but...guess that's where we are these days.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Sony Corporation has launched a red-hot edition of its VAIO® Duo, Pro and Fit models in a special series called the Sony VAIO Red edition. Calling the new series a...
HTC Corporation is all geared up to sizzle the smartphone market in India with the launch of HTC One Dual SIM phone. Around four months back, we told you about...
many of you might be knowing or read of error detection/correction methods and might have come across the term - Hamming at least once . below is a speech delivered...
Gujarat University pioneered the concept of having bouncers in colleges - and it's cascaded to other Universities in the state. Bouncers - the big guys who 'kick off' the troublemakers...
Can anyone tell me the books to follow for IES exams? And tips to crack IES