iPhone 5 Screen Is 10% Thinner Than iPhone 4S. Do I Care?

Steve Jobs changed the world by combining a phone with a music player and giving it a fancy name - the iPhone. Steve knew how to sell and he made all of us believe that touch-screen is 'the future'. It turns out that Steve was right. Rather, he invented a new future for mobile communication devices with the launch of iPhone. Steve's creation forced the competition to devote their attention to building powerful, beautiful and slimmer smartphones. If the latest rumors are to be believed, the iPhone 5 leaked prototype offers a screen 10% thinner than that of iPhone 4S. Most of the technology blogs on the Internet are already talking about it in great detail. I simply don't understand why it's so important that iPhone is shrinking in width. At least, it does not matter to me. I want more what really matters - the processor, the quality of screen, GPU and of course, the operating system.

#-Link-Snipped-#

I remember the days when I took pride in being the first one in my office to own the Moto Razr - the thinnest smartphone on the planet then. Razr was uber-cool to look at and it turned necks. The owners didn't buy the Razr. They bought the 'pride' it brought along with it. But Razr wasn't equally cool to use. I soon realized that 'thin' isn't what I really wanted. All I wanted was a phone that just fits my hands  perfectly. iPhone 4 does. But I'm not sure whether 10% reduction in width is something I'd pay extra for. I'm of course aware that shrinking the size by even 0.01% is a big engineering challenge. But is that what engineers should focus on?

I want the new iPhone to introduce something never-done-before on the hardware front. We've had a lot of innovation on the software side, but ultimately it's the hardware that calls the shots. Do let me know your thoughts on whether we need thinner phones. Do take a look at the following video that shows iPhone 5 prototype parts.

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Researchers at the British Heart Foundation have developed a technique that could replace the scarred tissues in heart with working heart cells. Damaged heart tissues cannot beat and hence leave...
Newton's Cradle is Sir Isaac's model which depicts conservation of momentum and energy. It consists of a series of identical metallic balls, suspended in a metal frame via strings such...
Architects Petr Novikov, Inder Shergill and Anna Kulik have created a robot capable of building structures out of soil. Forming 'solid' structures only out of soil is impossible, hence a...
A new technology to help the shepherds keep a check of their herd's safety is recently developed. The device is a heart monitoring collar which constantly keeps a check at...
Drones of the future resemble huge aerial androids, and scientists are working over ways to attach limbs to these autonomous aircrafts so that they can carry out work that are...