Introduction to DEFORM

Hi CEans,

Nice to introduce you the DEFORM software, the advanced tool to simulate materials forming, machining, heat treating process.

This introduction is written mainly based on the presentation on Scientific Forming’s website and DEFORM Help Documentations.

Among the Finite Element Method (FEM) simulation softwares, DEFORM is the most well-known and widely used. It is applied to analyze various forming and heat treatment processes in metal forming and related industries. The simulation process is taken place on a computer, no need to have real specimens or apparatus. This revolutionary tool allows engineers to:

• Reduce the need for costly shop floor trials and redesign of tooling and processes
  • Expose his most imagination and creation.

• Improve tool and die design to reduce production and material costs

• Shorten lead time in bringing a new product to market
The main advantages of DEFORM are:

• DEFORM is tailored for deformation modeling.
  • User friendly and ready to use graphical user interface provides easy data preparation and analysis.
  • Fully automatic, optimized remeshing system tailored for large deformation problems.
List of DEFORM Packages and Applications:

DEFORM-2D (2D)

Capable of modeling plane strain or axisymmetric parts with a simple 2 dimensional model. A full function package containing the latest innovations in Finite Element Modeling, equally well suited for production or research environments.

DEFORM-3D (3D)

DEFORM-3D is capable of modeling complex three dimensional material flow patterns. Ideal for parts which cannot be simplified to a two dimensional model.

DEFORM-F2 (2D)

Capable of modeling-two dimensional axisymmetric or plane strain problems. Suitable for small to mid-sized shops starting in Finite Element Modeling.
DEFORM-F3 (3D)
A powerful three-dimensional modeling package for modeling cold, warm and hot forging processes.

DEFORM-HT

Available as an ad-on to DEFORM-2D and -3D. DEFORM-HT adds the capability of modeling heat treatment processes, including normalizing, annealing, quenching, tempering, aging, and carburizing. DEFORM-HT can predict hardness, residual stresses, quench deformation, and other mechanical and material characteristics important to those that heat treat.

DEFORM™ is a registered trademark of Scientific Forming Technologies Corporation.

Replies

• shahir
    shahir
    Hi Nova, Did U know where to get DEFORM tutorial? or what is the meaning of X loads in DEFORM 2D machining... i had design a machining models, i have change from 4000 rpm to 40000 rpm, using WC cutting tool and AISI1045 machining... i wish to get the cutting force data... i check for load stroke graph... and put time at X axis, and X Load for Y axis... Do this results show cutting force?
  • 14OL41
    14OL41
    Hi everyone, i am from Tunisia and i'm a material engineering student, i'm trying to learn how to use DEFORM HT but i can't find any tutorials or documentation, if anyone has any information about this subject please help. and thanks.
  • 14OL41
    14OL41
    Hi, does anyone know where to get more materials for the DEFORM library, i'm specificly looking for the AISI6150 family, i tried JMATpro but i can only get a demo and it doesn't have much precalculated materials.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

CEans, As CE gains popularity and our traffic surges, we become a favorite spot for the ad - spammers. Our moderator team works round the clock to keep CE clean...
Puzzle; What is the missing nomber ? Admin note: No tricks, my dear friend.
Hi guys... i need some major help.....I am carrying out this design using the Actel ProAsic3 FPGA. can you guysplease help me to implement a scrolling message display ....the words...
Finally! Sprint has officially announced that the Palm Pre will be launching on June 6th for $200 after a $100 MIR and a two-year contract. You'll be able to purchase...
You've probably heard that keeping your refrigerator and freezer fully stocked is a simple way to keep them running efficiently. But what if you happen to lack for food, or...