Interview Question: How did you connect to the database?

First up, background info: I did my BE project in .NET (Visual Basic), it was a standard two-tier application.

So, the interviewer asks me...
HIM: Which database did you use?
ME: SQL2005
HIM: How did you connect to the database?
ME: ??!???
Um... we used the SqlConnection object...

HIM: ???!!???

Help me out guys, I'm feeling really foolish here. What was I supposed to say?

Replies

• NDL
    NDL
    I think he wanted to ask you what interest you to use this database or why are using this database and from when.
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    I think he was asking how you made a connection to the sql server that;s running on your machine.

I'm not familiar with .net. But I used SQL with Java using JDBC. In that, we used to connect to the database from Java via something called the JDBC driver for SQL.

Maybe, there's something like that in .net too.. And that would probably be what he asked..
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    "How did you connect to the database?"

It could be a philosophical question. You never know interviewers these days..
  • optimystix
    optimystix
    well it could be like ash said. but i believe the guy just expected a proper answer from you. whether ur answer's a philosophical or not, if you answered well, it would mean that you have done your job well and he would have been satisfied.

your answer was a bit loose one. there are ways to connect but i think your connection must have used adodc(object) connection using MS OLEDB provider for SQL server.
    am i right ??

or did u make use of sql only to make these connections ? its possible both the ways. i know only 2 ways 'cos i have used them. dunno if there are more ways to do. must be though for different servers and objects
  • MaRo
    MaRo
    I don't think you've never connected to a database!
  • Maelstrom
    Maelstrom
    I checked a textbook, and here's a tentative answer:

"I used the .NET Data Provider for Sql Server"

Howzzat?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi everyone, I am Jagadesh kannan (JK) ... I am structural engineering working in a MNC. I got this forum through google search. the forum looks very good and informative....
I am planning to do some microcontroller projects. I heard that there are several microcontroller available in the market. As a beginner, i have to learn about any one of...
Key CEE market targeted for broadband expansion SANTA BARBARA, Calif, Geneva, Switzerland and London, United Kingdom – February 26 2010– Occam Networks®, Inc. (Nasdaq: OCNW) a leading broadband access supplier...
I know the PIC scans the row(input) and column(output) of the keypad. But how do they know which key is pressed? Can you explain as detail as possible with this...
im BSIT course regarding this section i already seen the topics but could you give me some fresh topics about VB/.NET or PHP for my final projects....😔😔 help me