Internet was supposed to reduce waste of time - Is it working?

I read this somewhere today, "Internet was supposed to reduce time wastage, but I think it is doing exactly the opposite". Often while surfing across the web, I keep clicking links and move from one webpage to another and after a while I realize I am nowhere near to what I was supposed to land on. ๐Ÿ˜จ Internet being such a huge hub of ever-growing number of websites, it is more of a distraction and kills the time that could've been used to concentrate on just one thing.

Does this happen with anyone else here? Or do you guys always keep only 2-3 tabs open?

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Yep, I don't waste my time going out and having a life. So it's definitely working. ๐Ÿ‘
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    The_Big_K
    Yep, I don't waste my time going out and having a life. So it's definitely working. ๐Ÿ‘
    How is that related to the topic of the debate? Please elaborate.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Hmm, I thought whether Internet is helping people waste less time outside ๐Ÿ˜ .

I don't think it's wasting time. Because I end up learning something from at least 90% of the websites I learn; because I click links to explore information and don't just go on clicking random links that I encounter. When the mind is set on driving the answers you're looking for - it often leads to the right web pages with answers.

Let's say web surfing is a skill that needs to be developed. ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Gandalf
    Gandalf
    But Biggie , Sometimes it makes your thoughts out of focus , making you spend more time on things that are not necessary at that movement .
    Internet Searches hence make you go off topic before you realize and come back to the work you were doing . hence wasting a majority of your time !!!
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I don't know. But 'leisure surfing' leads to wastage of time. Seldom happens with me.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Back then in 2009 when I was newly introduced to facebook; I was using internet just to troll FB and nothing more. That was sheer wastage of time.
    But since last 2 years after I detoxified myself from FB ;I am using internet to obtain latest technical information or techical help.This is time savvy for me; I dont have to go to library and find out why BOHR's atomic theory is not cent percent true ;-)

From what i have read, 65% of internet contains adult websites and 20% with entertainment contents.
    So I no longer believe that internet was introduced to save time.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Interesting opinions, really. I want other CEans to come forward and blurt out their thoughts.
  • sweet_honey
    sweet_honey
    I mostly use internet to login to CE or my id. Its very rare that I surf other sites for latest info bcoz the various sections of CE are the best source to keep me updated..

On other hand, using FB makes me feel a wastage of time..
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    Wasteage of Time is caused because of EACH individual, and you can't blame the internet for the same.

If you are using the internet, keep the following in mind:

1. First THINK about WHY you've logged in to the internet. IS it to waste your time or to save your time?

eg: If you have a lavish internet connection at your disposal and you are jobless, you'd definitely feel like getting your mind relaxed and NATURALLY waste the time - (just like you waste time infront of the TV, watching those ugly serials and crying over them. Movies have more meaning, and are time saving, educational, and is an effective mind-relaxation method)

2. If you're not lookng at the right places, how would you find the right information? So FOCUS!!

3. Facebook/Twitter/Whatever can be used for learning too, IF you are talking with the RIGHT person about the RIGHT thing. Confused? Think about what you really do on FB?

eg: I use FB to ask doubts to people I know (because it's better to just post on their inbox than send them an e-mail), understand people and also communicate with my old friends who are stranded all over the world. Secondly, it's cheaper for me. ๐Ÿ˜€. My advise - Even if you waste your OWN time, use your time on FB wisely!

I'm at work now. But it's night time here, so I don't have much job; I've logged into CE to waste time wisely. My colleague on the otherhand prefers to stare at photos online now. All depends on each individual's ATTITUDE towards time!

4. Would you rather waste time going through Real Encyclopedias (Printed Books) to get information, or use the internet and save time?
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    I agree with #-Link-Snipped-# FB is not 100 % waste of time same is the Internet usage The way we use the same feature is very important

If you are going to check some crap in Internet/ FB Then it is pure waste of time

But if you use it wisely to Update your self it will be the greatest tool in your hand
  • lal
    lal
    I haven't felt that I have WASTED my time on the internet, but have felt that I have SPENT a lot of time there. New links always fetched someting new, those were all really worth the clicks and the time.
  • Tom Travel
    Tom Travel
    I think internet has lost its advantage in content search because of all the businesses out there using the same platform for marketing. Excessive SEO or the lack of it, has taken away the level playing ground for most. This situation can't be changed back but some new websites are solving this problem.
    Example, today if I have to search internet for travel destinations near my city fitting my budget and purpose, I won't be able to find it from the heaps of wanted and unwanted information dumped on me. This has now resulted in the new aggregator websites like Weekend Getaways from Bangalore,Places around Bangalore #-Link-Snipped-# that helps us cut through the junk and get directly to all the options available. These services do save our time !

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I feel that tagging system is not smart. Ex. When I am tagging someone in replying a thread .Then there is 90% chances that I am tagging a member who...
I just read about a new DIY project by designer Gabriele Diamanti that he undertook as an inexpensive solution to desalinate water that was available to households. And so he...
This is a student's experience when he sat for the TVS Motors' placement drive. Questions were based on- * Both technical and general ability(aptitude, gk, reso) * Standard of questions...
The architecture firm Gensler has proposed a floating airport at London. The airport will float on London's River Thames Estuary. The airport will be officially called 'London Britannia Airport'. It...
So it's official now. You've always complained about not getting paid enough or being underpaid and overworked. Now a report confirms that your counterparts in foreign countries makes a LOT...