Internet through powerline

Hi All

A new research is on for broadband over power lines which can increase the current speed from 100 Mbps to 200 Mbps. Its pilot has been tested ok at Alipur village.

This up gradation in the technology can allow easy installation with relatively lower installation costs because it requires no wiring changes to enable broadband connection and would make use of existing power grids without adding new cable.

This a report from a well known newspaper daily. If anybody has more detailed description on the topic is invited to join over the discussion.

Replies

• durga ch
    durga ch
    i had heard about power over ethernet ,rather than broadband over power cables, any source of reference you migth want to give?? this might pull in more crowd for discussion.
    There was another discussion in air, where experiments were being conducted to trasnmit electricity as 'data feild' in packets. though i have no clue how that can be achieved or even defined...
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    durga
    i had heard about power over ethernet ,rather than broadband over power cables, any source of reference you migth want to give?? this might pull in more crowd for discussion.
    There was another discussion in air, where experiments were being conducted to trasnmit electricity as 'data feild' in packets. though i have no clue how that can be achieved or even defined...
    Durga, I think there is a bit of confusion. Power over Ethernet means providing enough power over ethernet cables to power devices connected to it. For example, some Cisco switches have the ability to power IP Phones directly via Cat5 cables.

Power line communications is transmitting data over existing electrical utility infrastructure. There has been continuous research in the US regarding providing power line communications (more specifically broadband over power line). Unfortunately, the main cause of concern is interference to/fro radio stations. Though I think if that issue is eliminated, the 200mbps speed vibhor stated is quite impressive.

Has anyone tried using power line network at home? There are already products available for this, creating a LAN network with your own home wiring.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    alright, I was aware of POE but not data transamission using current Power lines😀.
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    Do the current power lines have such high bandwidths to support such a large speed of 200 Mbps?
    Power lines are copper cables, right? I don't think they have the required bandwidth..
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    silverscorpion
    Do the current power lines have such high bandwidths to support such a large speed of 200 Mbps?
    Power lines are copper cables, right? I don't think they have the required bandwidth..
    Power transmission lines are mostly made out of aluminum (or rather, an alloy of it). There is no issue of bandwidth, because one just increases the frequency. However, increasing the signal frequency may create a lot of interference since these cables are somewhat unshielded.. so they need to find a balance.

@Durga
    Have you received your Cisco equipment yet? 😀
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    @ash

yup!!! 😀

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

plzzzz... help me 2 find an mini project in C language.my teacher wants some innovative idea plzzz help me out!!!!!!!!!
CEans, I must admit that every single entry to our BlogStar contest is outstanding! I am really surprised to see the efforts all of you put in gathering information about...
Official Announcement: https://www.crazyengineers.com/forum/announcements/32495-ce-blogstar.html
I saw all the links submitted here... All are nice..everybody spent time and efforts, why dont you give the T-shirts at least , to all who did not received the...
I received following email from ISRO -- Dear Bhuvan User, At the outset, we thank you for your keen interest in exploring ISRO's Geoportal - Bhuvan. During the initial launch...