Interfacing and drivers?

So I have a project in mind. Its a monitoring system where I'm going to use a temperature sensor and an RFID to be controlled by some microcontroller or microprocesor to trigger some comands. I've been reading but I don't understand well the term "driver" when it comes to interfacing the sensors with the micro. Is it another hardware between the micro and the sensor? Are ADC and DAC drivers?

Replies

• Ichigo
    Ichigo
    Can you recommend me book that explains well interfacing and drivers?
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Ichigo
    I don't understand well the term "driver" when it comes to interfacing the sensors with the micro. Is it another hardware between the micro and the sensor?
    "Device driver" is a program which determines how your peripheral device will interact with the microcontroller.
    In your case,The sensor is the peripheral device which interacts with Microcontroller.So,for interaction - Device driver is needed.

Which MCU do you use ?
  • Ichigo
    Ichigo
    I was thinking to use an arduino platform but could be a microprocessor, maybe 8051 or 8085. Not sure right now.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Ichigo
    I was thinking to use an arduino platform but could be a microprocessor, maybe 8051 or 8085. Not sure right now.
    As per your application I think it will be not big deal to use 8051 in project.
  • Ichigo
    Ichigo
    OK. I was pretending to use the RFID as a proximity sensor but i guess it's not going to work the way I wanted. What i want is to trigger an alarm is a person walks out of an approximate radius of 15 feet from the control unit. I'm thinking of using a Bluetooth device to do this. How can I make it work that way? maybe signal strength, what you think about that???
  • YepSailOn
    YepSailOn
    I've ran across prebuilt proximity sensors in the market but I think your best bet is to use an ultrasonic transciever. The strength of the echos would reduce as the person walks away from the unit and you can set it so that it'll ring when he's beyond 15 feet.
  • Anand Tamariya
    Anand Tamariya
    Ichigo
    OK. I was pretending to use the RFID as a proximity sensor but i guess it's not going to work the way I wanted. What i want is to trigger an alarm is a person walks out of an approximate radius of 15 feet from the control unit. I'm thinking of using a Bluetooth device to do this. How can I make it work that way? maybe signal strength, what you think about that???
    That'll work - you are on the right track.
  • arunchary
    arunchary
    ultrasonic transceiver is nice concept to implement with the microcontroller 8051 ,etc.you ill get enough stuff on following site
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    [​IMG]

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Just a few days back it was my friend's mother's birthday and on the other day it was a friend's girlfriend's birthday. In the course of thinking of a perfect...
hello friends, iam new to this forum n also a fresher(civil). my doubt is why is every company running for non renewable energy when we have abundant solar energy? am...
wts EOF AND IS SCANF returen values?
The Indian Institutions of Engineers,SOUTH EX was established in the year 2010.the Indian institutions of engineers is a premier technical education and training institute in the SOUTH EX. This institute...
hi friends, i am trying hard to connect arduino mega adk with my android app through php server located on a web hosting site. the problem is, i want to...