Intel's SkyLake Platform To Support DDR4, SATA Express & PCIe 4.0

Recently a blog leaked the Xeon roadmap shows the successor the Broadwell (which is successor of Haswell) that is yet to penetrate the mainstream.
Intel's Skylake is 14-nm processor which will be the first of it's league, However you won't be seeing Skylake in two years i.e. 2013 & 2014.Maybe after 2015, though.

The new Skylake platform, which is 14-nm processor will be supporting PCIe 4.0 which will give double the bandwidth offered in current PCIe 3.0. So, obviously this will support the very high-end graphics card with massive bandwidth created by AMD & Nvidia.​
The existing SATA, that is commonly used in all PC hardwares uses around 6.4 GB/s of the maximum bandwidth, while Skylake platform will be supporting SATA Express which will use 16 GB/s as the peak bandwidth. Using new generation storage SSD which will need extra bandwidth, as each blocks in SSD have independent controller which need to be clocked to fetch the data.​
There's not much of details on Skylake about it's release date or very deep details on the upcoming technologies. But as the technologies are upgrade of current technologies, we can easily assume what's next the Intel is bringing for us.​
Seems like the processor will hit the market by the end of 2015, as recently Haswell processors are launched & Broadwell, which is not yet released.​
Sandybridge to Ivybridge : 32nm to 22nm​
Haswell to Broadwell : 22nm to 14nm​
Skylake to ______ : 14nm to __nm ?​
Any guess guys ?​
What you have to say about this latest news on Skylake platform ? Are you holding your PC for upgrade for few more years ? Or you're jumping on Haswell ?​
Share your thoughts.​

Replies

• Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Well I am not into more of specs of computer but one thing is still troubling me to research more
    Sandybridge to Ivybridge : 32nm to 22nm
    Haswell to Broadwell : 22nm to 14nm
    Skylake to ______ : 14nm to __nm ?
    Well we covered an article here saying that a transistor of only 7nm is made

My question Why is it still not used in Processors? If this is used the processing speed of the Processor can be doubled immediately

PS: Why wait another 18 months just to satisfy the moore's law

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I am always having ping of around 100+ & that value increases to 200 or 250 + during peak hours ( morning 9 to evening 5), then again lowers to...
What is a catastrophic failure? Why a design engineer should consider it as the greatest failure?what might be the causes for such failure?what measures can be taken to avoid or...
Does any person have details about toxic mildew? I think I might have a problem.
Engineers at MIT have succeeded in developing an all-optical transistor that uses light instead of electricity to perform computing. Think of it as a switch that can be turned on...
On 4th of July, United States's Independence day Samsung released 26x optical zoom camera, WB110 with 22.3 mm wide angle lens.​ ​Samsung WB110 features :​- 26x Optical Zoom lens​- Dual...