Intel's Mobile Processors Versus ARM Based Processors. Who Will Dominate The Mobile Domain ?

I always used to think, Intel will never aim for Smartphone processors & thus there won't be any competition between both different architectures. Well, I was wrong.

Recently, Very good progress in development in Intel been noticed, They are focusing more on Mobile Computing & Smartphone processors now with Haswell architecture & Clovertrail architecture.

On the other end, ARM based Processors are dominating the smartphone domain, with so many variety of ARM based processors.

Silicon companies like Qualcomm,Nvidia,Samsung,etc. are in constant development of ARm based processors. While on other end Intel is newly emerging & targeting Mobile devices with Haswell processors & Smartphones with Intel's Clovertrail processor.
ARM lacks the power to feed the PCs, but Intel is one step forward as they are already dominating Desktops & laptops. And with new Intel architecture & very less power consumption they are focusing on Smartphones.

Do you think Intel will be capable to dominate ARM ?
Recent benchmark shows, #-Link-Snipped-# .
What's your take on this debate, CEans ?
ARM will continue to dominate as Smartphone's processors or Intel, the Titan of Silicon industry will rise in this Mobile & Smartphone domain.
What's your take CEans ?

Debate On!

Replies

• Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    No one ? I am quite surprised(infact, sort of sad) 👀

This debate is flame-igniter like Best OS wars,Best Programming Language wars,Best console,etc. Don't you wanna debate on Intel versus ARM ? No one ?
    Come on guys, share your opinions. This will be fun.
  • Pensu
    Pensu
    Xolo launched phones with intel processor and I don't think it got good reception. Though it was able to create a buzz, but the main issue was heating problem. I talked to people who have used Xolo X series and according to them the only difference they have felt is intel burns like a heater! So, I guess it can be a good competition if Clovertrail is able to resolve heating issues.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Why don't we add MIPS (via Imagination Tech) in as well? They are looking to penetrate the smartphone CPU market.

The good thing for folks like Samsung and Apple, they can mix & match architectures for their SoCs 😀
  • KenJackson
    KenJackson
    I don't want any one processor to dominate. Competition is very healthy.

Similarly, Windows stagnated and became slothful until Linux started threatening. I've read more than one person opine that Windows is today a better product because of the competition from Linux it endures. (Curiously, that's simultaneously good news and a real shame!)

The more choices we have in smartphone processors and operating systems, the better the products will all be.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    #-Link-Snipped-# You cannot really compare OS with Processors, you know.
    Why ? Because, in OS a consumer has choice to select which one he/she wanna use it. While in the silicon industry, the most powerful chips is accepted for the gadgets by gadget developing companies, which certainly is not in hand of consumers.
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Well first I have to try intel powered mobilephones to answer your questions.
    But from my little knowledge on my android phone,I think Intel can sasily overtake any processor.
    Intel-King of processors
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    Comparisons here would prove effective only if you've got a hands on experience with these latest technology. In this fast changing world, I believe that we ourselves have to get down in the rat race, and be the critics for every technological advancement. What we upheld to be the giant of smartphones (once upon a long time ago) is now merely a waste to some of us atleast (I'm talking about the famed Nokia). So ofcourse, competition is welcome. However, I fear that we're often turned fools as technology advances.

So is it Intel or ARM? I've not used an Intel Smartphone yet. And according to the news I hear - it's a 50:50 chance for Intel. Some people say that Intel can use their prowess to dominate, while others say that Qualcomm might just be the mobile Intel.

So my take: don't let either dominate - Let it be chaos and we'll get better refined products with time! *Fingers crossed*

Perfect example - war between Microsoft and Apple over the decades - now who dominates?? - clearly none! Both are competent enough in their own way!👍

P.S.: By the way, has anyone here got the chance to use Intel's Haswell processor based PCs yet? Can you start a thread stating the pros and cons you feel about it over the older Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge variants?
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    anoopthefriend
    Can you start a thread stating the pros and cons you feel about it over the older Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge variants?
    Sure I can. But Like all other Processors/Embedded systems related threads it will too remain unanswered by CEans. So i am focusing more on threads which can attract more & more CEans to comment.
    But, as you want Ivy versus Sandy versus Haswell versus Broadwell, then yes we'll compare 'em !
  • Apurwa.Thakur
    Apurwa.Thakur
    #-Link-Snipped-#

It is quite challenging topic to discuss .Intel is dominating can't decide only on one benchmark surprisingly.
    And on the basic of score you can say intel is dominating.but what common people say,it also matter..
    battery life
    network connectivity
    ease to use
    reliability
    many other thing which can decide which one is more dominating.

[Intel uses a low leakage 32nm process for the Atom and the Samsung is made on a standard 28nm process]
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Apurwa.Thakur
    Intel uses a low leakage 32nm process for the Atom and the Samsung is made on a standard 28nm process
    Incorrect.
    Atom Silvermont is using 22nm manufacturing process.

Apurwa.Thakur
    but what common people say,it also matter..
    battery life
    network connectivity
    ease to use
    reliability
    many other thing which can decide which one is more dominating.
    Battery life, is a concern in x86 based processors which is being worked on.And Intel's power consumption is decreasing gradually.

Apurwa.Thakur
    network connectivity
    ease to use
    reliability
    How does these points which you mentioned are related to Processors ? I mean is that, there's just no relation between network connectivity & processor's performance. There's no relation between "ease-to-use or reliability" & processor's performance.

Elaborate on what you're trying to say.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

We know that to reduce the interference effects , frequency separation is provided between two channels. I heard that the channels we are using for a telephonic conversation itself is...
Recently I saw a program in TV.The conclusion of the program is as mass around us increases , the time will reduce. I know the above sentence is confusing.Let us...
As we know, In Analog communication in air medium between two antennas from transmitter to receiver, in transmitter end; the information signal is sent with the carrier signal & modulation...
I am opting for various softwares for my expertise is it worth to spend some extra money on gaining certificates from Autodesk or just knowledge is enough? Secondly should i...
This silly question popped into my mind just now. We know that vacuum means space or place that contains no matter.Isn't it? We use vacuum cleaners to remove all the...