Intelligent people get jobs and those who can't, become entrepreneurs

So I went to my alma mater and was engaged in a conversation with one of the professors about promoting entrepreneurship among the students. The professor declared that there are several students in the final year who couldn't get through the campus placements - and the 'entrepreneurship program' would be ideal for them.

Pooh! 😲

All he meant was - the intelligent, smart and talented people get recruited by companies and the 'left-overs' are the ideal lot that has no option but to take up entrepreneurship.

I think that 'is' how the society thinks about entrepreneurs - at least in India for sure. Entrepreneurship is considered to be the career avenue for those who can't find decent jobs for themselves.

...and that has been my experience too. Do you agree? Looking forward to your experiences, views. 😁

Replies

• Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    No I do not.

Although the cruel truth per me is - 99% of college pass outs do not take risk of choosing Entrepreneurship as a path due to insecurity and less belief on themselves (later on in their career they may realize that job is not their cup of tea and they need to start something as an Entrepreneur ). Those who do not get a chance in or immediate after college have to think for Entrepreneurship as well.

But believe me, Entrepreneurship is an ART and should essentially be in deepest nerve. It can not be forced on anyone.

Also per me any Tom Dick and Harry can not become Entrepreneurs; if everyone will try to become one, who will work under those Entrepreneurs??

So we need to do a self assessment and then should choose the career path.

-CB
  • [Prototype]
    [Prototype]
    Bitter truth is exactly what you've said. The society pretty much goes on like that. Few of my friends who didnt got job in campus placements have grouped up and are in process of starting a firm. I got offered too, but as the above one said, you need that skill embeded in you. This is the thing that cant be learnt but can only be enhanced provided you have it already. Thats why I denied as I totally lack those skills.

On the side note, live example on CE based on the discussion, #-Link-Snipped-#

No offence or disrespect intented to anyone. My motive is just to show its relevance to the topic and how true that thought is to the society.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    The point here is not to glorify entrepreneurship. Rather, I wish to highlight somewhat 'negative' way of viewing at entrepreneurs. I don't understand the obsession with 'earning money' right after you've graduated from engineering / MBA college.

My prime concern is about people thinking of entrepreneurship as the 'last resort' for those who can't get jobs.

Why am I concerned? Because we're still faraway from creating an environment where entrepreneurship as a 'career' is treated as 'normal' by people - and those who 'fail' aren't looked down on - mostly by your relatives.

Of course, I'm aware that views of the society won't change overnight, but I personally want to see engineering students taking up entrepreneurship, building companies and creating success stories.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Biggie on reading the mind frame of proffy I am detesting the educational set ups in India. They think and they ensure that the old beaten path is accepted by every body and make sure no body diverts from it to unventured grounds.

This is like crap

In real time only drop outs have built empires cos they knew their intelligence could take them to heights their professors could imagine

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

As a second year electronics and communication student,where and how to apply for summer internships?plz help..
which software is important 4 automobile engineers and what is certificate course is important for automobile
Do we have any user @ forum who is a victim of the 'Sudden Death' issue of Samsung Galaxy S3?? If you are not aware of the problem... A month...
Have any of you Civil/Structural Engineers ever come across a type of fire resistant coating that can be sprayed unto structural steel?
the limitations of wireless performance majorly due to limited bandwidth....generally what is the bandwidth allocated for wireless services??? i mean there will be certain fixed allocated bandwidth isn't it???