Integrated Graphics Will Replace Discrete Graphics Card ?

Integrated graphics were tagged as 'useless' for gaming. But since last two-three years after the development of AMD APU & Intel's HD series IGFX, the gaming is kinda possible without discrete graphics card.

Recently, Intel HD 5200 Iris Pro IGP (For Haswell) was tested & surprisingly, it can run Bioshock infinity at 1080p with 38 fps without no AA, which is very good.

I think, sooner we won't need external GFX card for midrange gaming (Ofcourse for extreme details we'll need external GPU). It will be embedded in CPU itself (like APU, but with much more improved performance).

What's your take, CEans ?
Do you think, IG will replace External GFX cards for midrange gaming, if not high-end extreme settings gaming ?
Share your opinions !

Replies

• Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Graphic card are a great delight if we are going in for high end games

For lower and middle end games the development in the Integrated Graphics is self sufficient and the performance of the them are far from reality

But the only issue is today's high end gadget becomes tomorrow's lower end gadget So continuous performance can only be a result of continuous updation in IG sector. The extent of integration is limited as they affect the performance of other components in the motherboard
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    I play high end games like World of Warcraft. It definitely needs a GPU to give a great output. For IGs, you can say they perform well but they wont be able to take on external GPUs for now. As they are developing IGs, External GPUs are developing too AND the games and their requirements/quality/graphics is escalating at more rapid pace. Once it attains saturation, then we can expect IGs replacing GPUs but that ain't happening for long time.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Nayan Goenka
    I play high end games like World of Warcraft. It definitely needs a GPU to give a great output. For IGs, you can say they perform well but they wont be able to take on external GPUs for now. As they are developing IGs, External GPUs are developing too AND the games and their requirements/quality/graphics is escalating at more rapid pace. Once it attains saturation, then we can expect IGs replacing GPUs but that ain't happening for long time.
    I don't consider WoW in high-end section, it can easily touch 30+ fps in C2D's IG at 720p resolution. But, games like BF3, Sleeping Dogs & Crysis 3 is total different story.
    But, if Intel's Haswell IG can run latest Bioshock infinite at 1080p with 30+ fps with No AA then, I believe that future of Gaming holds in integrated chips.
    Still massive development in this section is needed though.
  • Abhijit Dey
    Abhijit Dey
    Fine with Intel, but AMD has been doing great with their APUs. Only problem being the heating issues. Intel chips can work without even a fan in some cases whereas an AMD processor burns out.

Even I believe that integrated chips should be more looked into which would save a lot of space on the chassis and add to the cooling part. Also the only issue would be giving memory to the graphic cards since it would be shared with the system memory!
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Abhijit Dey
    Also the only issue would be giving memory to the graphic cards since it would be shared with the system memory!
    Agree.
    There should be way to assign memory to IGPU in BIOS, but in AMD APUs there ain't any. Also UMA Buffer option doesn't work, sad.
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    Abhishek Rawal
    Agree.
    There should be way to assign memory to IGPU in BIOS, but in AMD APUs there ain't any. Also UMA Buffer option doesn't work, sad.

I don't suppose for now atleast the IGPUs can become self sufficient. The memory factor as #-Link-Snipped-# pointed out is crucial. Plus the heating too. And I don't know why but I simply don't trust AMD processors. Reason, they heat up your system so much, it feels its gonna blast. And a top if they start making IGPUs as yous requirement, This will adversely affect performance of other units inside the CPU as well. And one fan will definitely not be enough for that.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    How about allocating memory from RAM to IGPU ?
    Consider, I have AMD APU with 4 GB RAM, I am playing BF3, which consumes 3 GB RAM, IGPU of AMD runs at 512 MB. So, 512 MB is free.
    How awesome it would be,if I can allocate free RAM memory to IGPU ?
    There outta be some technique with which this can be done.

Forgive me : I was reading too much about aliens & conspiracy theory lately, so my mind is still in state of imaginations.
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    Abhishek Rawal
    How about allocating memory from RAM to IGPU ?
    Consider, I have AMD APU with 4 GB RAM, I am playing BF3, which consumes 3 GB RAM, IGPU of AMD runs at 512 MB. So, 512 MB is free.
    How awesome it would be,if I can allocate free RAM memory to IGPU ?
    There outta be some technique with which this can be done.

Forgive me : I was reading too much about aliens & conspiracy theory lately, so my mind is still in state of imaginations.

You are talking about switchable RAMs, well this concept was introduced but it has a lot of problems. Next thing about this is,out of 4gb RAM, apart from your Game, there are numerous other processes running, you might want to give space for them to breathe 😛

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

While i was reading the newspaper I was shocked on seeing the title that "Indian MP's having criminal record accounts for as many as 31% members of parliament (MPs) legislators...
I think I landed in correct arena to get answer for my question.So here is my question 1)why lights flicker or blasts when a thunder struck ? 2)what is the...
I am studying in Electrical and Electronic Engineering. I have to submit project in this semester. so i'm interested to submit MicroControl/ Power/ Electronics Related Project Please give me some...
This is an ingenious project, which uses a single IR sensor to scan an object to create a thermal image. Obvious limitation is that the object has to be static....
Wishing all CEans here Eid Mubarak, or as they say in Malaysia, Selamat Hari Raya Aidilfitri! Its been a wonderful month of fasting and prayers. Now its time to spend...