Instrumentation - Limited Seats In IITS & NITs

hi this is pankaj and i am a 2013 btech passout in ece ... i am having doubts about a thing ... someone suggested me that i should fill up my gate form in instrumentation as i wanna do research in instrumental astronomy .... and after going through some sites i found out that there are very less seats in this stream in the iits and nits ... my first doubt is am i doing the right thing ... filling up for instrumentation being a btech ece student .... and secondly how true is that .. iits and nits dont hav much seats in that stream .... please friends help out a fellow engineer .. suggestions are most welcome ... please reply asap .. thank you in advance

Replies

• pankaj12790
    pankaj12790
    and one more thing will i be able to apply for psu . i ve heard that to apply for psu's u gotta give gate in ur stream only ..
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    @#-Link-Snipped-# - If you're determined to get into instrumental astronomy; I think you'll need instrumentation as your stream. I'd however recommend that you should check if there are any other branches you can opt for and still be eligible for research in instrumental astronomy.

Whether you should apply for instrumentation depends on how confident are you about securing a very good score. You must have taken mock tests and that should give you some idea about where you stand in the competition.
  • oprime
    oprime
    @#-Link-Snipped-# I think instrumental astronomy is taught in Indian Institute of Astronomy Astrophysics, Bangalore. A friend of mine, who gave GATE in the Electrical Stream applied there and got through. He did not study there though as he got Electrical stream somewhere else. His rank was around 2500.

EDIT: It is Indian Institute of Astrophysics and not Astronomy.
  • pankaj12790
    pankaj12790
    so its ok if i give gate 2014 in instrumentation as most of the syllabus is same as of ece .... @#-Link-Snipped-# i am feeling quite confident that i should get a good score in gate instrumentation ... so u r saying i should be fine if i am having a good score in gate 2014 ... and need not worry about my beech stream being ece and jumping to instrumentation which is nothing but a specialization in ece ๐Ÿ˜€ .....

n thank u so much for quick response guys ... i really appreciate that ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    The suggestion is that you should check what are your chances of getting admission to the institute and course of your choice for the score you're confident of achieving [be sure to test yourself through mock tests first]. That should give you a clear idea of your chances of getting through.

We're happy we could help. Hope to see you around helping out others who need help ๐Ÿ˜€
  • pankaj12790
    pankaj12790
    hey fellow engineers ... May i ask some good book titles to prepare for gate instrumentation 2014 ... Uknow like millman halkias for analog n edc ....... given the changed pattern of the exam .... Thnx in advance
  • Void Runner
    Void Runner
    I would like everyone on this forum to note that changing branch in GATE is NOT a wise idea except when you are sure that you will get a very good rank. Organizations like BARC/TIFR, nearly all PSUs and many universities will outright reject candidates who give GATE or any other entrance in a branch that is not the same as their graduation. Such candidates are also never the first choice in any merit or selection list. I have experienced this situation in my life and strongly advise against it. You can apply for any stream that your own branch GATE paper is eligible for, you probably won't face problems there. But you will face problems if you try to change the GATE paper. Organizations like IITs, IISc and Indian Institute of Astrophysics are more flexible in this regard but these are very few and the rest are hardly so flexible - if you don't get a very good rank you will face problem after problem.

#-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# Request to make this sticky as this might be useful information for many students.
  • Vineet Bhardwaj
    Vineet Bhardwaj
    hey, i am pursuing B.Tech Instrumentation and want to ask that may i give GATE in ECE branch? and will it be beneficial for me or not?
    n how much rank and score is needed to take admission in IISCs and IITB , IITD and PSUs?
  • Vineet Bhardwaj
    Vineet Bhardwaj
    Vineet Bhardwaj
    hey, i am pursuing B.Tech Instrumentation and want to ask that may i give GATE in ECE branch? and will it be beneficial for me or not?
    n how much rank and score is needed to take admission in IISCs and IITB , IITD and PSUs?
    plz mail the answer to #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Void Runner
    Void Runner
    Vineet Bhardwaj
    If you want job in PSUs, please give GATE in your branch only. Otherwise you will get disqualified at the time of preparing interview lists.

For M.Tech, you can give GATE in EEE or ECE as per your convenience - this will make you eligible for certain M.Tech courses in Electrical and Electronics Engineering (as they may require GATE in EC or EE). However, you have to check the eligibility of such courses to see if your B.Tech in Instrumentation and Control is eligible. Also read my previous post on this matter - generally speaking, changing GATE paper is a bad idea.

#-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# Please mark this thread as important.
    Important note for all: PSUs, universities and government research organizations really prefer that you have B.Tech and M.Tech in same (or related branch). For example, a B.Tech in ECE/EEE with M.Tech in ECE/EEE (these two are considered equivalent) will have much easier time getting a job than a B.Tech in ECE/EEE with an M.Tech in Instrumentation (or vice versa). I am saying this out of my personal experience. You are allowed to do M.Tech this way but if you go this way it must be to satisfy your personal interest only as many recruiters will be highly reluctant to take you in. That being said, it's not all doom and gloom as the private sector cares little about such things - so in all fairness it's probably still okay to change the branch a little if you're getting admission in one of the IITs.
  • Vineet Bhardwaj
    Vineet Bhardwaj
    Void Runner
    If you want job in PSUs, please give GATE in your branch only. Otherwise you will get disqualified at the time of preparing interview lists.

For M.Tech, you can give GATE in EEE or ECE as per your convenience - this will make you eligible for certain M.Tech courses in Electrical and Electronics Engineering (as they may require GATE in EC or EE). However, you have to check the eligibility of such courses to see if your B.Tech in Instrumentation and Control is eligible. Also read my previous post on this matter - generally speaking, changing GATE paper is a bad idea.

#-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# Please mark this thread as important.
    Important note for all: PSUs, universities and government research organizations really prefer that you have B.Tech and M.Tech in same (or related branch). For example, a B.Tech in ECE/EEE with M.Tech in ECE/EEE (these two are considered equivalent) will have much easier time getting a job than a B.Tech in ECE/EEE with an M.Tech in Instrumentation (or vice versa). I am saying this out of my personal experience. You are allowed to do M.Tech this way but if you go this way it must be to satisfy your personal interest only as many recruiters will be highly reluctant to take you in. That being said, it's not all doom and gloom as the private sector cares little about such things - so in all fairness it's probably still okay to change the branch a little if you're getting admission in one of the IITs.
    okk thankz a lot ๐Ÿ˜
  • Vineet Bhardwaj
    Vineet Bhardwaj
    Vineet Bhardwaj
    plzzz reply
  • vaibhav tripathi1993
    vaibhav tripathi1993
    sir i got 407 gate score and 1456 rank from IN stream plz suggest me that there is any possibity of getting m.tech progam from any good institute

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Apparently, it didn't take much of technical wizardry to hack the Apple iPhone 5S biometric fingerprint scanner. German group of hackers that goes by the name 'Chaos Computer Club' aka...
Samsung Galaxy Trend has officially entered the Indian market. With the phone listed on Samsung's official India online store for a price in India tag of Rs. 8,700. Samsung, the...
LG, the Korean multinational has today unveiled its new flagship smartphone - The LG Vu 3. Keeping on with the LG Optimus Vu legacy, the new Vu 3 features a...
https://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/india-among-top-targets-of-spying-by-nsa/article5158374.ece The above news which occupied the front piece of Hindu paper was shocking and i am here to start a debate whether India is giving too much of space...
The latest Skoda Octavia sedan shall celebrate its India launch on 3rd October this year. Officially announced in August, the 2013 Skoda Octavia is slated to hit the Indian market...