Input to parallel port

hi,
i want to input 8 bits to EPP port. I have tried using 74HC244, 74LS244, 74LS245 as buffers but then also i am observing problem of overloading.
If I connect 5V power supply to i/p then reading suceeds.
please help me..

Replies

• maheshkrishnan
    maheshkrishnan
    Pramod,
    For serial and parallel port interfacing ,
    go thru the site Beyondlogic – Electronics Hardware – Embedded Linux – Internet of Things

Thanks,
    Maheshkrishnan
  • RachaelP
    RachaelP
    The input voltage levels for a standard parallel port are TTL levels i.e. logic '0' <= 0.8V and logic '1' >= 2V so any TTL compatible 74xx245 should work fine. My guess is that you either have a problem with the control lines or you havent got the grounding good enough and the data lines arent reaching the correct levels due to ground bounce (i.e. there should be a good ground connection between your board's ground and the ground of the parallel port). For the control lines you should connect nIOR, nIOW or nWrite to the Dir pin of the 245 and then nDataStrobe to the En pin of the 245. I'm not sure which way the Dir pin is off the top of my head so make sure the selected direction (i.e A to B or B to A) is correct.

One more thing could be decoupling. You should put a 100nF cap very close to the Vcc pin of the 245 otherwise it may latch up. Also a larger 10uF might be of some use too.

Hope this is of some use.

Rach

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

A lot has been said but nothing much has been done about this topic. I know this is not one of those interesting topics on which anyone and everyone has...
Hyderabad has the prime importance in the educational field among the cities in southern India. This city has two Central Universities, six State Universities, and two Deemed universities. The Osmania...
I have downloaded folder lock 5.2.0.6 and had locked a folder. But the problem being that the locked item is not displayed in the locked folders list. it still shows...
Hyderabad: The Class of 2007 of the premier Indian School of Business (ISB) has attracted record salaries; with the top international offer being $269,000 (Rs.11.8 million) against the highest domestic...
Hello everybody, I need some new topics for a seminar in Computer Science. Can anybody help me. If anybody can give links to full reports, then it would be really...