Inner voice - is it real?

I was just thinking...and i had a thought...is the inner voice which we all talk to for real??
I do not mean spiritually....i mean is it technically a sound wave??
If yes, then how does it reach our ear??
If no, how do we hear it then??

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Hmm. Interesting!

No, it's not a sound wave, technically. I guess it's just few electrical pulses that are responsible for the whole 'thinking' that we do.
  • tech_vaibhav_ee
    tech_vaibhav_ee
    k..
    any article or any weblink which could support your view...i mean its ok that its not a sound wave...but how did u conclude that its an electrical signal...
    because if it is an electrical signal...why cant we process it using some electronics and produce actual sound waves from it...that way we could actually listen to someone else's inner voice ...such a step could be a great help for dumb(mute) person...
  • ms_cs
    ms_cs
    Inner voice? No It is not real
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    I thought you guys were talking about an actual conscience that talks to us inside our heads 😛

Basically, we are talking about "thoughts" correct? hehe.

tech_vaibhav_ee, theres indeed research going on regarding getting thoughts from our minds. These are electrical signals as biggie has said (well.. neuron activity basically), located at the cerebrum of the brain. Memories are also located here.

There are several ways to extract the info. One is the more common approach, which is to use the EM waves that are emitted from the brain activity. Specific brain activity emits their own unique pattern of EM waves. Another approach is a bit more direct: inserting MEM nodes in the brain to detect the activities. This might allow for more accurate signals.. and potentially reading our thoughts.

You can easily search for the journals online. The more prominent ones are the biomedical engineering journals at IEEE.

Good luck!
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Yeah, Ash said it in a better way. It's not something like in spiderman movies. 😛
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Is this similar to the lie detector that Police uses??

Correct me if i am wrong?
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Nope, those are called polygraphs. An explanation from wikipedia says:
    an instrument that measures and records several physiological responses such as blood pressure, pulse, respiration, breathing rhythms, body temperature and skin conductivity while the subject is asked and answers a series of questions, on the theory that false answers will produce distinctive measurements. The polygraph measures physiological changes caused by the sympathetic nervous system during questioning.
    Basically, its more of a YES/NO kind of response. The initial polygraphs can be easily tricked. Sometimes, you can convince yourself that you are telling the truth and your body will respond in kind.

Nowadays, researches find other means of knowing when a person is lying. Pupil dilaton, muscle contraction of face (which spawned some other interesting research on emotion), other minute details. And brain EM waves could very well be in the limelight.. but these are not present at police stations. Not that I'm aware of, anyway.

I've read in a book once where there were specific facial muscle contractions of a certain emotion even before we consciously aware of it on our thoughts (subconsciously basically). Kind of like an early warning system, hehe. Whoever is an expert in face reading can read lots of different emotions.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Oh! thanks for the Information ash. 😀
  • thisisananth
    thisisananth
    Interesting information😀

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

please explain what is matlab? what does it related to? Please explain in layman language give example also.
Just heard on the radio on the way to work. Was wondering why they were playing MJ songs continuously. Not clear on the circumstances of his death, but some say...
In this version of CEoM, CEans would have equal opportunity to nominate fellow CEan as the CEoM. As this is a trial run, we will continuously change process next time...
From: https://www.crazyengineers.com/forum/announcements/26622-cean-month-june-2009-nominations.html Any queries or comments regarding the above announcement shall be placed here 😀 Remember, please do not post your votes in this thread. Instead, send them to this...
post here your ideas and topics about automated device or system !!!! ;-) ;-) ;-)