Inkjet Printer Is Inspired By Human Eye To Become Clog-Free!

#-Link-Snipped-# engineers have derived inspiration from human eye to come up with an inkjet nozzle that doesn’t choke ever. The eye and the nozzle are both alike in one sense-  both shouldn't dry but should also stay open. To achieve this, biomimicry was involved that unravels the human problems. As per the university, Jae Wan Kwon's (associate professor) invention employs a droplet of silicone oil to shield the orifice of the nozzle when not being used, just like the film of oil that maintains a thin layer of tears from on our eye. Over the surface of the human eye, eyelids strew the oil-film on the layer of tears.

#-Link-Snipped-#

Nevertheless, the magnitude and the size of the inkjet nozzle prevent the usage of mechanical shutters, as the surface tension would make them stick at one place. As an alternative, a droplet of oil for nozzle is circulated in-out via an electric field. To unblock a clogged nozzle in a majority of inkjet printers, if the machine is not regularly used, fresh in explodes through the blockage caused by dry ink to resume the process, thereby wasting a lot of ink. Kwon's innovation is aimed to stop this wastage.

Have a look at the video -

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

He was indeed a wise man who invented beer. But the tink on the glass should go for this man -Mitchell Joseph-  who came up with this self-chilling can of...
It is no secret. The earth is indeed getting hot. People are coming up with new plans to bring the temperature under control. The latest to join that group are...
The payload RESOLVE (a collaborative effort by the Kennedy Space Center and the Canadian Space Agency and part of the Advanced Exploration Systems Program in NASA's Human Exploration and Operations...
Ever tried running in a beach? I’m sure you know how difficult it is to run on the soft sands of a beach. But Lizards can do it with much...
Ever since I learned to skate, I've been fancying motorized skates. Kickstarter backed, Spnkix has launched motorized skates for all the lazy skating enthusiasts for just $699. Alright, that's not...