Ink on talcum powder

Has anyone observed this : ?

when a drop of fountain pen ink is poured on a spread of talcum powder, the drop dose'nt actually seep inside the powder mass, and soak it. but it retains its spherical shape, and remains as a kind of "fluidic ball".

so how does this happen

Replies

• rahul69
    rahul69
    I think it happens because the adhesive force between ink and talcum powder is less than the cohesive force between the ink molecules. Thus helping it to retain spherical shape 😎
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    It is similar to water drops on a lotus leaf. Fine particles of talcum act like the fine hairs on the leaf holding the water drop above the surface. Surface tension forms a natural spherical shape for the drop. If the drop is large it will deform to a flattened spheroid and ultimately break into smaller spherical drops.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Ratan Tata said - I do not take Right Decisions;I take decisions and then make them right Is there any such thing called Right Decision ??? What I personally think...
hi i am vijay bhargav studing final year in stream of I.T ....from sri prakash college of engg.
Researchers have already been able to develop algorithms to identify the emotions from a persons's voice. The systems can accurately detect 'anger', 'sadness', 'excitement' and similar emotions based on 'how'...
Malaysian anti-corruption commission (MACC) has declared that using 'Facebook' at work is 'corruption' because you shouldn't be surfing social media or doing 'personal networking' during your office hours. The commission...
Lego's just unveiled the latest in the mindstorms series - called the Lego Mindstorms EV3. It's got a better firmware, new IR sensor and tighter integration with Android and iOS...