Infosys to offer high salary to top performers - will the trick work?

Infosys is under Narayana Murthy's control now and in order to revive the company, NRM is going the carrot & stick way - promising to offer high salary to the top performers in the company. Infy's under-performing for nearly two years now and Murthy's goal now is to get it back on the track. A person closer to Murthy says that the differential between the non-performers and top-performers will increase because the variable pay will be one of the crucial factors.

I'm not sure whether the carrot-and-stick mechanism will work for Infosys. Money is no doubt an important factor but I'd rather like to have opinions of people whether it'll work in favor of Infy.

Replies

• Pensu
    Pensu
    It should. People are working there for money and I dont see any other bigger motivation!
  • Anand Tamariya
    Anand Tamariya
    Variable pay as a motivator works as long as there is transparency in the appraisal process. Conversely, if the appraisal process were transparent, top performers in Infy would already be happy - which apparently is not the case. Hence I don't see this making any difference.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Well, money itself would motivate - but what about the mechanisms to judge the performance? In most of the companies, juniors are left at the mercy of their supervisors and there are no unbiased performance tracking mechanisms. How'd you rate a candidate on the basis of 'communication skills' or 'team work' or 'overall domain knowledge'?

One may argue that at his/her level in the corporate hierarchy - one has sufficient knowledge of the domain to execute the allotted tasks - but then the supervisor may always say "we expected more from you". That usually happens in all the appraisals.
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    I am a bit skeptical about if the Carrot and Stick mechanism would do wonders for Infosys.

Infosys pays hefty amount at senior level and at ground level they do not spend a lot. However, per me the reason for Infosys's downfall was higher management (that are already paying hefty checks regardless of their performance) not the performance of team members.

-CB
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    It does motivates 5% but sometimes demotivates other 95%.
    Infosys is now run by old schools, first they need innovation.
    Infosys pays hefty amount at senior level and at ground level they do not spend a lot.
    100% correct
    One very interesting story i know about Infosys from my friend
    If you are working hard and can able to handle client from offshore why Infosys will send you to onside.
    And, if you could able convince management that you can't handle them from here they will send you onsite (and ofcourse with 5x increase in compensation😁).

I think only sly fox does best job in service industry. 👀
  • Neeraj Sharma
    Neeraj Sharma
    I haven't worked for a service company as of now but I heard from one of my friend working in a service company that there is a broad daylight between the projects that they do from the ones they are promised they will be working on. I am still skeptical as to what is the annual project goal for companies? Can anybody please clarify?
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Off Topic:

#-Link-Snipped-#: Did you copy the site name "Coding Scared" from my user name?
    😁
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    English-Scared
    Off Topic:

#-Link-Snipped-#: Did you copy the site name "Coding Scared" from my user name?
    😁
    Coincidence😉
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# Great point with the sly fox comment.

Have you people checked this video by RSA Animate? -

It's a really interesting take on what motivates people at home and also at workplace. And incidentally, if you are wondering, money isn't it.
    People would be more productive for far less. They need something else. It's the X Factor. 😁

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

​ The image says it all. How do you think things will change when the Ultra-HDTVs will become a norm?
Amazon India has finally launched the much awaited electronic gadgets store. The 'Shop By Department' section of the India focused website shows Movies & TV, Mobile & Accessories, Cameras &...
Sony’s PlayStation 4 had managed to win the war of consoles hands down at E3 (Electronic Entertainment Expo), with its used games policy and competitive pricing and making sure that...
Eagerly waiting for the BBM Android App? Well, you're not alone; but a fake app has already fooled thousands of Androiders around the world. The app appeared in the Google...
Apple's newly announce MacBook Air 2013 with the high-speed 802.11ac wireless network capabilities has issues - and it looks like Apple's confirmed that that they're working on a fix. The...