'Infinite Distance' concept in the definition of electric potential

hi
electric potential at a point in a electric field is defined as amount of work done in moving a unit positive charge from infinity to that point against electric field ,but my doubt is what actually this infinite distance means here

Replies

• suman.mathad
    suman.mathad
    .Nice question..i got one more with this...when we move a particle from infinite distance to a point where there are no charged particles, we take the work done as zero.. But this is opposing newton's law ?????
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    suman.mathad
    .Nice question..i got one more with this...when we move a particle from infinite distance to a point where there are no charged particles, we take the work done as zero.. But this is opposing newton's law ?????

In this case, the work done is not mechanical work. It's the electrical work.
    So, when there are no charged particles, there are no electric forces. So, on moving a point charge from infinity to any point where there are no other charges, the "Electrical" work done is zero.
    So, this doesn't violate the Newton's laws.. 😀

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

go to this link to download the ce animation. ceicon3.gif picture by vik01ind - Photobucket download & open it in any browser to see the animation. how I end up...
Can you imagine the convenience of wireless chargers for things like your cell phone, your iPod, and digital cameras? You would never have to plug in your wireless charger to...
CEans, We have planned many competitions on CE over the next few months; and we want to take an important decision regarding the judgement of every competition. We have two...
Taken from Matt Mullenweg's blog post: WP.com DowntimeSummary — Blog — WordPress.com Today WordPress.com was down for approximately 110 minutes, our worst downtime in four years. The outage affected 10.2...
is it really worth to pay money to consultances that promise to offer a job? I know some of the consultancies that says that if I pay money to them,...