'Inemuri' in Japan versus 'Waiting for weekends' work culture in India - Why is there so much difference?

Being a student of the Japanese language for many years now, I have always been mesmerized by Japanese culture and am always left in awe hearing real stories from the world of Japan.

Inemuri is a Japanese word which means "to be asleep while present." It refers to falling asleep in social gatherings, at classes, at work, and at various public functions.

In Japanese culture, there is a special place for inemuri, and it is actually viewed as a cause for pride, rather than embarrassment.

The implication of inemuri is that someone is exhausted from working too hard and that he or she is sacrificing sleep at night to get work done. 

Compare that to Indian graduates entering the work stream and you will find discussions about "Waiting for the clock to strike 6:00 PM and rushing off to a movie" or "Why is it Monday again?" 

In Japan, overwork is a common phenomenon. They work so much that sometimes the bosses have to ask them to go home and be with their family.

Why is their SO much difference in work cultures of two Asian countries?

What is your take on this?

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath

What to do? We are like that only!

In my previous assignment we had a rule that attendance cards must be punched by all without exception. Coming in and going out had to be within ten minutes of start and close of the day.

I used to go around the 26  acre campus checking things were OK at the close of day before returning to my office to finish admin work, which I used to finish after all the others left.

Onetime a little before 4-50 pm (Closing time was % pm), I was near the main gate where the punch clock was kept. I saw one of the HODs at the clock with his hand on the handle. Thinking that the machine was out of order, I asked him if there was any problem. He replied that he was waiting for the clock to cross 4-50 so that he could punch legally without penalty.

What an example to set the juniors!

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare

It's just sad to see that we struggle hard at our colleges to get to our so-called 'dream companies' and once you get into the office, you start looking for reasons 'not to work'. I am sitting here wondering - since when did Indians become like this? I remember my grandfathers telling me stories of working late hours and also having the will to work after retirement. 

Why is it that the young crowd today just wants quick money? Nobody or should I say, only a handful few are after deriving satisfaction from work? Are we just stuck in a loop of instant gratification? How can the society thrive if the entire young generation wants to ignore real work?

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath

I am nearing 80. Still working full time. Only it's not work. It's the breath of life as it has been for the past 59 years.

So it's no credit to me. I am the beneficiary.

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare

You are an inspiration. I wish our education system, elders (like you) and all media shows better examples and sets better ideals for the new generation.

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath

It is not that. It may be labelled workaholism. Bertrand Russel advocated a four day week to allow people to enjoy more leisure, to think creatively, and spend more time with family.

Just working longer may burn one out.

Still ‘inemuri’ philosophy can inspire.

I may be wrong in choosing research work in science as an example because it is more individual based internal activity.

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

Let's say, Indians and Japanese have two very different ways and approaches of getting things done. 

• Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal

I think it is all related to work culture and work environment  and off course your boss, if someone can get boss like Late Shri A. P. J. Abdul Kalam then he don't mind spending extra hrs on work but if some one get like my ex boss ;) then these things happen

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath

I had known Kalaam while he was in  Trivandrum. He used to live in a tiny room in a small lodge. After returning from work he would play cards with friends sometimes. He would call up his team using the ancient rotating dial wall phone to check if all was well at 12 in the night.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Quote:In this webinar you will receive a step-by-step guide on how get started with robotics in automation and the key aspects to consider.From assembly and pick-and-place to material handling and...
hi everyone......i am very much interested in IOT And Information Security,i am in final yr...i hav to giv my project name tomorrow...can anyone hlp me out..
 I am in final yr and i have to give my project name tomorrow so can you suggest a web application. 
Hi,I am doing a project on converting hydrogen into usable energy to power up vehicles. Recent years there are hydrogen car and even hydrogen train. Wondering if anyone has any...