Indiatimes Mail Shutting Down

Gone are the days when people used to have indiatimes.com email IDs. As per the notice displayed on the service's login page, no new registrations are being accepted from now onwards. The notice also says that the service will be discontinued and permanently shut down on 18th February, 2013 at 12 PM (Indian Standard Time).

Indiatimes.com email users won't be able to access their emails after February 18. If you are an Indiatimes email user, you should quickly backup your emails. The best way to do this is to forward all your important emails to your Gmail or Outlook.com email accounts. I never used Indiatimes email, so not sure if they offered POP/IMAP access. If they do - then a better option would be to download all your important email to your local computer.

Note that the email service is being shut down, but your Indiatimes email ID will continue to work on the the entire Indiatimes network. So you will still be able to login with your ID.

It's certainly sad to see an India born email service provider going down. Now the other dominant player remains rediffmail which received a ton of registrations from India in the past several years. I see several new registrations on CrazyEngineers using Rediffmail accounts.

The reasons for this shutdown are not known yet. But the most likely reason seems to be the monetization of the service which is quite difficult. If you have an update on the news, please post below.

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Update: Looks like I totally missed the 'in.com' email service while mentioning the dominant email services from India. The service is operated by Network18 group which is quite big and has been putting everything on the single domain [more Page Rank, back-links etc.]. Do we have any IndiaTimes users? I wish to know whether IndiaTimes is providing its users with any automated tool to backup their email and other data? Or, are they providing any migration service?
  • solar morpher
    solar morpher
    When a product is Branded Indian Then it goes out of the window for all Indians

That is the reason for the failure of many Indian firms online If they are not willing to change them selves then sorry for new innovations here
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# : "Made In India' doesn't go with people's minds as 'products of highest quality. There's a long history associated with it that Indians lost pride in their own creations.

By the way, I'm no way advocating Indiatimes and their email product. In fact, Indiatimes websites have been totally crappy if you consider the user experience. I'm quite confident that they're shutting down their service 'just like that' without giving their users an option to backup their data or migrate it to a new service. I'd love to be proven wrong though.

I even tried Rediffmail's service and was never impressed. It's a fact that Indians haven't been able to disrupt the markets with some real innovation or a problem-solving / fascinating / enticing (software) product for the world.
  • solar morpher
    solar morpher
    Say about Rediff's Crap I know that was way to worse to be called as an e-mail service I had nightmares there

And this I will attribute to the poor support the entrepreneurs get in the initial days of their start ups. This you can your self verify being an Admin here. But who knows what the future holds for us

But this here seems to be an Indian Firm doing good job Hope you guys can deal with leechers a little that will solve many of your issues and bring you to the very top

PS: I never expected to be tagged in by a MOD/Admin on the very first day of registration Love the feel here

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

There is a certain procedure or steps that the hacker follows to carry out his activities. These are better known as phases as mentioned below. a. Reconnaissance b. Scanning and...
Is it possible to get coordinates from an external GPS transmitter and received on smart phone and displayed on Google map? If yes please help 😀
Hey folks a kin here keen to develop myself. Rest is silence about private style But in it all I am What I am.
Hey guys My first post here I am designing a high speed switch and I got stuck here the deviced used ??😔 The first part was real easy and simple...
Here is my small contribution to this section First never see BUDGET" Next FIX THE SIZE OF BOT Then comes the DESIGN . Here you will have to make the...