India's National Optic Fiber Network (NOFN) May Get Delayed

I wasn't aware that the Government Of India is implementing a national optic fiber network with an investment of about Rs. 20,000 crores. Sam Pitroda, who advises the PM on technology has said that the project may get delayed and may not see the expected completion date by end of 2013.

I found out more information about the NOFN project and it seems to be oriented at offering broadband connectivity to the rural areas in India. There's a PDF that describes this project a bit in more detail. If anyone's interested in knowing more, take a look - #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• durga ch
    durga ch
    I never knew India has its own broadband project.
    Rather than feeling elated, I am worried about the black-holing of funds
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    I think it's better they proceed with 3G connectivity to whole India.
    It will definitely boost telecom sector and this is will be real IT revolution.
    I have doubt rural areas will get benefit from fiber optics, until they have at least 16hrs electricity per day.
    This will also going to fail like BSNL land line projects to every village, people switched to WLL (Wireless in local loop) and then to mobile.
    I think government should focus of wireless rather than wired projects.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    Hi Anoop,

I doubt the project is about fibre to home. i think the project is mostly to lay a optical backbone network.
    Currently most of the Backbone is copper. When I say backbone, it is rather connecting the Basestations, exchanges on optical.
    This is just a opinion , In australia and singapore too such projects are being taken and they too are intended for Backbone rather than lastmile connectivity
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    I guess it is.. but in PDF they have level up to villages, which I think, not relevant if basic infrastructure is not there.
    It will be like, now a days politicians promising a Laptop to every 12th pass student😲

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Name: david krause *Engineering Trade: Design engineering within the basic research genre ranging from aerospace to medical to industrial Location:southeastern USA [central North Carolina specifically] *Occupation: Contract/consulting design engineer Work...
high guys pls help me out I need ansys 14.0 full version software
hello guys any one knows the good institute like cdac which provides job oriented courses/training in embedded system other than cdac?
Which Web Programming Language is Best(php,.net,etc..,)??
Engineers, doesn't matter if you are a BE Civil or a B.Tech Electronics. I have a strong feeling that 90% of engineers want to join IT companies. So what is...