CrazyEngineers
  • Smartphones have a nasty habit of dying on us at the most inconvenient moment; we try to revive it with latest gadgets like battery packs and wireless chargers but we still have to wait for at least a few hours to get them fully charged. This waiting time of hours may soon to changing to a couple of seconds thanks to an innovation from Eesha Khare, a 18-year-old Indian-American girl from Saratoga, California. Her supercapacitor is a tiny device that can hold a lot of energy and can be fitted inside a cellphone battery to charge it almost instantly.

Eesha Khare

At present she is using it to power LEDs but she is sure that the super-capacitor could soon find its way to cell phones and other gadgets. As compared to the conventional batteries that last for 1000 charge-discharge cycles her super-capacitor can last for 10000 charge-discharge cycles. When asked about her inspiration behind this invention she replied "My cellphone battery always dies,”. Her interest in nanochemistry helped her to develop this device which she claims is flexible enough to be used in rollup displays and clothes. Her invention has managed even to gain attention from Google who have contacted her to see how she plans to plans to use it to improve her technology so that it can be used in cellphones. Eesha was awarded a $50,000 prize and the Young Scientist Award by the Intel Foundation during the Intel International Science and Engineering Fair, conducted last week in Phoenix, Arizona.

Source: Esha Khare: Teen's invention could charge cellphone in 20 seconds | Daily Mail Online
    Replies
Howdy guest!
Dear guest, you must be logged-in to participate on CrazyEngineers. We would love to have you as a member of our community. Consider creating an account or login.
Replies
  • Ankita Katdare

AdministratorMay 22, 2013

This news has become a sensation throughout the online community. I just hope there's a commercial product for what this girl has achieved. Waiting for the cellphone to charge, especially when I have to move out quickly, is really quite troublesome. All hail tech! 😍
    Are you sure? This action cannot be undone.
    Cancel
  • Anoop Kumar

MemberMay 22, 2013

Great product...
    I believe, Students have better innovative approach than scholars.
    ~~wish every country would invest in schools rather than military.
    Cancel
  • Kaustubh Katdare

AdministratorMay 22, 2013

I'm still wondering, did all the big tech guys not think of this before?
    Cancel
  • Ahsanul haque

MemberAug 10, 2013

Never stop till you breathe.. 😀
    Cancel
  • Nayan Goenka

MemberAug 10, 2013

Cant wait to see it live in gadgets. My cell battery won't die then. This is real talent and desperately needed innovation. They sure should figure out a way to implement it as soon as possible. Then not only for mobiles and tabs, it will be of excellent utility in laptops and also high application in other electronic gadgets.
    Cancel
  • yogi.bharadwaj

MemberOct 5, 2013

its a great discovery thanks Eesha.
    Cancel
Home Channels Search Login Register