Indian Engineering Students To Use Microsoft Office 360 Come What May!

Owing to a decision made by the AICTE or All India Council of Technical Education locked by a government contract, starting June 30, over 80 lakh college students all over India would be seen using Microsoft Office 365 in their college computers no matter they like it or not.

It is not like they were given much of a choice earlier either, but now use of an open source equivalent may not even be possible in the long run. The decision, they say, forces college administrations to adopt one technology instead of giving them the flexibility to install whatever suits their students’ needs best.

See what it states:

A recent notification by the AICTE states that all institutes must compulsorily install and use Microsoft Office 365, a productivity suite, which has little to do with the functioning of the cloud-storage service. There is no free, open-source cloud-based offering, and Microsoft’s product, priced at zero initial cost, fulfills that need. Dr. S.S. Mantha, Chairman, AICTE, announced, “Office 365 will enhance our day to day communication, collaboration, and monitoring of the colleges we oversee... This will help us promote and propagate innovation across all 11,500 institutions.”
Wouldn't using Office 365 only limit students to Microsoft's perspective and stand in the way of serious open-source research in rural colleges? Think of Freedom of Choice?

Replies

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    A picture from #-Link-Snipped-# ->

office-360-the-fluffy-heads
  • Gurjap
    Gurjap
    Hey, ever since Oracle bought OpenOffice, it's gone down into the depths, and Oracle's LibreOffice is facetiously named, seeing it is not open source. Still free, though 😛
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    The above news that made raves when it was published in The Hindu Newspaper, came to the notice of some officials at Microsoft.

And they seem to have responded to it.
    Check their responses here: Microsoft responds to The Hindu’s story on AICTE deal - The Hindu
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Gurjap
    Oracle's LibreOffice is facetiously named, seeing it is not open source. Still free, though 😛
    LibreOffice is OpenSource licensed under LGPLv3.0, I am quite sure of this.
  • Gurjap
    Gurjap
    Abhishek Rawal
    LibreOffice is OpenSource licensed under LGPLv3.0, I am quite sure of this.
    You know what, I think you're right. Thanks for pointing it out. I'll keep checking though 😛

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hey guys do u have any idea about ELITMUS exam .... if so please help me...
how to calculate the saving using VFD for pump of 18.5 kw if vfd operated on 40Hz?
Hi, i want to know where to write a java program in linux(i am running centos operating system),i should write in a file ,from command line or in the folders....
Something *awesome* has just been launched on CE​ ​😁​ ​You always wanted it!​ ​You asked for it!​ ​&​ ​It's Live!​ ​But you've to find it out yourself!​ ​Hint: You don't...
About 90% give wrong answers. but hoping so CE's can give the correct answer ...👍 5-(5*6-2-4)+2=?????