Indian Engineering Students Prefer IT Over Core Jobs; Google Is The 'Dream Company' - Nielsen Report

The latest Nielsen report reveals that Indian engineering students want IT jobs over core jobs and Google's the most desired employer. The second and third spot has been taken over by Microsoft and Infosys in the 'dream company' segment. Though most students preferred IT jobs, there's a slight increase in the interest in joining core sectors as well, says Nielsen's executive director Mr. Dinesh Kapoor. These sectors include power and energy.

The report found out that about 35% of the students expressed in IT services companies followed by 28% showing interesting in IT products companies. The energy sector drew interest from 21% of the students and automobile & ancillary sector saw interest from 20% of the students. The survey was conducted with 2500 students between July-August 2012 across 73 different engineering colleges.

engineering-jobs-indiaโ€‹

TCS and IBM took the fourth and fifth spot in the list of desired companies and surprisingly, Facebook came at number 6.

We're curious to know what are the salary expectations of the students graduating in 2013?

Replies

• lal
    lal
    I'm surprised to read this. May be they surveyed the wrong ones ๐Ÿ˜ฒ Atleast in my circle, almost everyone prefer core over IT anytime! I thought the trend changed quite a few years ago. This is a bit surprising.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    a
    lal
    I'm surprised to read this. May be they surveyed the wrong ones ๐Ÿ˜ฒ Atleast in my circle, almost everyone prefer core over IT anytime! I thought the trend changed quite a few years ago. This is a bit surprising.
    Neilson, to the best of my knowledge, has been doing surveys for a long time now and their data is likely to be correct. The preference of sector may largely depend on the city/college you are in. Preference to IT is what I've seen among the first, second year students who aren't aware of or haven't read enough about IT ๐Ÿ˜€
  • lal
    lal
    I agree that to an extent. Most students who haven't made a solid plan yet responds "yeah IT" if asked them in the first years as you said. But it changes overtime unless the student has very much interest in IT.

Here most students take up an IT job only if there are no openings to the core. They may be working in an IT company, but ultimately are always interested to join the core. Well, that is the trend atleast in Kerala.
  • ursplfrnd
    ursplfrnd
    I guess Neilson has done this survey on freshers. As of now fresh graduates worship TCS and Infosys as both of these or atleast one of these companies visit their college and hire in bulk. Google and Microsoft are definitely the dream companies as they wont come to every college for recruitment. Core companies hire very less number of students and salary will also be less. So many students don't aim for core jobs. This is what i think.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    The surveys deal with what the majority thinks. And the general opinion of masses at any point of time gives a clear picture of what an average mind thinks when it is constantly subjected to rumors and clouded opinions.
    I know so many Indian freshers who are in IT just for the 'salary'. Most of them don't even understand what IT is. Just because 100 friends and relatives tell them that IT is hot, they've dived in.
    Google is cool because of that one infrastructure video they saw on youtube. I have a feeling most of these freshers who have Google as their dream company must be the most ineligible when it comes to cracking their first round of interviews.

Sorry for the negative tone of the post.
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    Could any one tell me, what's the difference between Core and IT here ?
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Sanyam Khurana
    Could any one tell me, what's the difference between Core and IT here ?
    Core jobs are related to your engineering stream.
    Almost any engineering stream getting hired by IT compnies, thats not a your core job what you haves studied in college.

I don't know weather IT sector is still preferred but yes, Google is dream company for IT/CS students.
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    Oh well, in that case, my stream is CSE, then for me is CORE and IT same.?
  • shibi raj
    shibi raj
    Not surprising.... ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Pensu
    Pensu
    Google, I can understand. But Infosys and TCS are hard to digest. Why would anyone want to join a service company instead of a core one?
  • Anand Tamariya
    Anand Tamariya
    Pensu
    Google, I can understand. But Infosys and TCS are hard to digest. Why would anyone want to join a service company instead of a core one?
    I can think of a lot of reasons -
    • Money (educational loan to pay, financial constraint at home)
    • Girl-friend/boy friend works there
    • Don't want to leave Bangalore (pick your city)
    • Score of other personal reasons!!!
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Most graduating students aren't aware of the difference in products and services companies. Worst - they aren't even aware of the kind of work they'll end up doing in these companies. Not that I'm favouring any type of industry - but the thing is that most people have *no clue*.

Infosys and TCS are very BIG brands when it comes to the job world. Say to your neighbours or relatives that you're working with Infosys and your respect in their eyes immediately doubles. Say you work with Google and they may not be excited, unless they know.

A ton of engineering grads I know aren't capable of getting selected in product companies. That's a fact.
  • Ashish Bardhan
    Ashish Bardhan
    AbraKaDabra
    The surveys deal with what the majority thinks. And the general opinion of masses at any point of time gives a clear picture of what an average mind thinks when it is constantly subjected to rumors and clouded opinions.
    I know so many Indian freshers who are in IT just for the 'salary'. Most of them don't even understand what IT is. Just because 100 friends and relatives tell them that IT is hot, they've dived in.
    Google is cool because of that one infrastructure video they saw on youtube. I have a feeling most of these freshers who have Google as their dream company must be the most ineligible when it comes to cracking their first round of interviews.

Sorry for the negative tone of the post.
    No Sorry at all, because you're telling the truth. Even I see such guys in my batch having that kind of attitude. ๐Ÿ˜›
  • Ashish Bardhan
    Ashish Bardhan
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Most graduating students aren't aware of the difference in products and services companies. Worst - they aren't even aware of the kind of work they'll end up doing in these companies. Not that I'm favouring any type of industry - but the thing is that most people have *no clue*.
    Most of us as the freshers consider Salary Package first these days. They always come up with an attitude like, "We don't need to know a lot of insights about the company as we really don't know where we are going to stand after 5 years. We can take care of this work later if we get recruited." That's why we see many people applying for various distinct job profiles, just to try their luck for getting recruited anywhere. Moreover, since placements papers patterns (along with questions) are widely available in the internet these days which are sometimes used repeatably for many years in many, it's not that difficult at all to clear the preliminary tests and crack the interview rounds. We are more interested in cramming the notes for clearing these selection rounds, rather thinking of desired job profile for a while. Not everyone, but most of us.
  • Ashish Bardhan
    Ashish Bardhan
    Sanyam Khurana
    Oh well, in that case, my stream is CSE, then for me is CORE and IT same.?
    However, Electrical, Electronics, Mechanical and Civil Engg. are considered as Major Core Branches most of the case.
  • [Prototype]
    [Prototype]
    Is it really a preference or just a decision made to secure the job with a thought of something is better than nothing?

Its seriously disappointing to see how the work is divided in IT industry. People whose name start from A - F goes into SAP, G -K goes in JAVA programming, L - S goes in testing. WTF? From when does the first alphabet of your name decides your skills?

I agree most of us doesn't deserve to be in CORE, but people don't even give it a try because their college campus only brought IT's and they secured a job.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    [Prototype]
    Its seriously disappointing to see how the work is divided in IT industry. People whose name start from A - F goes into SAP, G -K goes in JAVA programming, L - S goes in testing. WTF? From when does the first alphabet of your name decides your skills?
    That's nothing. I know a company which took post-training tests and those who scored fantastically well in Java were allotted .Net projects and those who did well in .Net got Java Projects.

Why? Because the 'HR' thought that'd 'improve' their overall skills. ๐Ÿ˜”
  • Anand Tamariya
    Anand Tamariya
    Kaustubh Katdare
    That's nothing. I know a company which took post-training tests and those who scored fantastically well in Java were allotted .Net projects and those who did well in .Net got Java Projects.

Why? Because the 'HR' thought that'd 'improve' their overall skills. ๐Ÿ˜”
    Well, it's business at the end of the day. We had .Net developers who finished a project and were available on pool. But the only requirement open were for Java. So they were staffed on that project - else they would have to look out for new job.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Anand Tamariya
    Well, it's business at the end of the day. We had .Net developers who finished a project and were available on pool. But the only requirement open were for Java. So they were staffed on that project - else they would have to look out for new job.
    Nope. It wasn't decided by business availability. It was purely the 'HR' innovation because projects were available on both domains.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Till a student finishes second year he has no idea about his own core papers And so I think surveying them is pointless.

Beyond second year the students mentality is controlled by the college's campus drives and They fear venturing out of college jobless

PS: It is taking only the remedio colleges into account as far as my knowledge goes
  • avii
    avii
    1. Students are stupid & they don't know shit about IT. Even I was stupid when I was in 1st year. So this survey is pointless.
    2. Infosys, TCS, are hot because all relatives, neighbour aunties & their daughters knows about them. My friend who works in Akamai, recently faced a situation when neighbour aunty asked him why he didn't get a job in Infosys.
    3. As Abrakadabra pointed, mostly these fellas saw YouTube videos of Google work culture, that's why they preferred. Do note that, Google, Facebook are also famous in aunty circles where as Microsoft, Cisco, Juniper etc fail ๐Ÿ˜›
    4. Not all engineering colleges get good companies for campus. Mostly, product start ups visit the colleges & students don't prefer them because of low salary & status.
    5. Seniors are usually stupid, they simply give useless advice like to read local author books, join Infosys & be happy.

Regarding core & IT, it applies to Indian context only. IT involves both service & product companies. But only in India IT is considered as service industry. Don't know how this idea was generalised.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    avii
    Regarding core & IT, it applies to Indian context only. IT involves both service & product companies. But only in India IT is considered as service industry. Don't know how this idea was generalised.
    What you say is true. However, it's a fact that most of the (I'd not any numbers and percentage) companies that operate in India in the 'IT' domain are into services. I've spent a few years in services and product companies so I know what it is - even the product companies outsource the 'servicing' part to India. In almost all the companies, the hardcore work is done by few talented folks sitting in some foreign country and the Java code is written in India, as per the directions given by the parent company. I think that's the reason Indian IT is considered to be a services oriented industry. The fact is that Infosys does have an array of products but meant for the banks and businesses; not for the end consumers (I'm not aware if they do) so people never get to know what products Infy makes.

Here's a related interesting discussion: Products Vs. Services On The Internet - What's The Difference?
  • avii
    avii
    Kaustubh Katdare
    The fact is that Infosys does have an array of products but meant for the banks and businesses; not for the end consumers (I'm not aware if they do) so people never get to know what products Infy makes.
    If you had a online Karnataka Bank account you would know about Infosys product ๐Ÿ˜›

It uses Finnacle & half the time I get one or the other error. The interface is really bad. Sometimes it was too difficult to make NEFTs. So I shifted out to HDFC, so far good !
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    avii
    If you had a online Karnataka Bank account you would know about Infosys product ๐Ÿ˜›

It uses Finnacle & half the time I get one or the other error. The interface is really bad. Sometimes it was too difficult to make NEFTs. So I shifted out to HDFC, so far good !
    ๐Ÿ˜ That I really didn't know. Yeah, HDFC's awesome. They've outdated systems (I've been told) but they seem to keep it running all the time.
  • YepSailOn
    YepSailOn
    oooh! my kind of discussion. I'm generally skeptic about statistics, because depending on how you conduct the survey you can skew the results any way you want. About the survey in question here, I think they probably just surveyed 1st year students. Nearly everyone I know have the least preference for an IT job and my old B.E. classmates who work in the sector seem to really hate it now.

As for me, I wanted to work in an IT company when I was in 12th XD but at this point of time I just think it's a big waste of my brain because I would just waste away whatever I've learnt so hard in engineering.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I want to know how the turbine extraction steam is controlled in the reheat cycle?
hi, Again I am asking a question for the those who knows cloud computing and have experience with this. My question is what kind of project can be completed on...
Airtel VDSL service has been launched in Hyderabad city and is currently offering 40 Mbps plans starting at Rs. 3200 (Ultrasonic 3299) and Rs. 3999 (Ultrasonic 3999). VDSL stands for...
I am planning to buy Google Nexus 4. It is not officially available in India. But i found it on few online sites. During my search on eBay.in , i...
I have create my own robo.. so plz give me suggestions..which Book refers about this.