India Graduates Millions, but Too Few Are Fit to Hire

Hey all. I found this article intresting and really useful. I thought of sharing it with you. I am posting the link below. Do check it out !

#-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Their abilities in math have been cited by President Barack Obama as a reason why the U.S. is facing competitive challenges.
    We need to stop the braggadocio about inventing zero and being proud of our maths skills. That's a skill we have, but we need to couple it with lot many things.

"If you pay peanuts, you get monkeys," says Vijay Thadani, chief executive of New Delhi-based NIIT Ltd. India, a recruitment firm that also runs job-training programs for college graduates lacking the skills to land good jobs.
    Everybody speaks about this, but what can the students really do?
    "My family has invested so much money in my education, and they don't understand why I am still not finding a job," says Mr. Shivanand. "They are hoping very, very much that I get a job soon, so after all of their investment, I will finally support them."
    Sad. πŸ˜”
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    I think that the discussion comes to same topic.

Is our education system good?

Well as for me I do not love CE. But truly speaking I have learned more on CE than in college. I keep on going through threads many times not commenting and sometimes commenting.

Well the education system especially examinations are conducted in unnatural conditions according to me, at least in Bharat.

But I think that pressure handling in case of work is important and I agree to all the corporate points mentioned by experts.
  • Neema Ambhurkar
    Neema Ambhurkar
    It's sad! πŸ˜” But whatever mentioned in the article is true!

We have all study courses in English but the students, even engineering students fail to frame a simple sentence in English.

The "jugaad" and "setting" attitude is what students have nowadays with everything in their lives. 😑
  • narayana murthy
    narayana murthy
    but friends i never support this talented students always have a choice to settle in life
    learning is not a thing for job in my view how apply them in real life is real task
    if we don't that what the meaning of learning them if they can't just quit
    ofcourse now the education system is like that in my university i have observed that many were mugging up and getting good percentages without knowing concepts so tell me whats the use of it
    due the competitions the percentages ranges are getting higher and higher and many were thinking only about percentages but not on what they learning
    but in my view all the CEans here are most talented and every one can have their own chances to settle in life
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    @Ishutopre: I think the 'education system' thing should remain out of this discussion. No country has a 'perfect' education system. The real stuff comes from those who educate themselves and also break out the traditional rules.

In a sense, yes, education system does play a major role in creating 'skilled' human resources. The 'real' trouble is that college education (especially engineering) has become a short-cut to the job world and every other guy/girl wants to get into engineering for better job and then better marriage prospects.

Why is it that I know so many computer engineers who can't burn a DVD even after owning a capable laptop for 2 years? Also, India has became the 'services' hub for the world, especially in the IT field - which every Indian engineer wants to join. I too joined IT domain (I'm an Electrical Engineer) but then realized that Indian IT actually offers very low quality work to talented engineers. The fact is (and there are thousands who've worked in IT will agree) that the job engineers employed in leading IT firms do can be done by a teenager with training. I DO NOT wish to show disrespect to anyone, however the facts are to be realized and then acted upon. Of course, there are companies who actually do hardcore computer engineering, but the number is less than 1%.

The 'few are fit to hire' context in the discussion, I believe, considers the technical job eligibility of candidates. As Ishutopre said, it is the education system. But I believe it's only to a limited extent. The actual part of the problem is the lack of motivation towards acquiring new skills.

PS: How many really worked on acquiring a new skill than killing time on Facebook today? πŸ˜€
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    ishutopre
    Well as for me I do not love CE. But truly speaking I have learned more on CE than in college.

I keep on going through threads many times not commenting and sometimes commenting.
    Both points are self-contradictory. 😐

As biggie rightly mentioned in his reply, engineers have to make themselves fit for getting a job. Many of the engineers never read their books with interest. Most of the students open the book only to pass the exam.
    Many interviewers complain that engineers don't know the meaning of basic terms. So, it is not only the education system, but the attitude of engineering students that is reason for the million graduates to not land up with good jobs.
  • narayana murthy
    narayana murthy
    Most of the students open the book only to pass the exam.
    sorry akd i am opposing it they may open book just to pass do you think all the students open books only at exam time are not having interest
    i never open book except at the exams time but i am interested in my group i learn not by studying books usually i used to check anyone need any help in understanding subject then i go with them and make them comfortable by making them subject easier
    anyway interviewers asks the questions depending on percentage levels so this may occur some times but we cant say all are not like that
    i had only one word here interest makes anything even we don't read as i believe in proverb "when there is will there is a way"
    hope i am clear here
  • sai krishna
    sai krishna
    How many AICTE approved colleges in our country are really fit to be approved? In and around Hyderabad their are more than 100 engg. colleges only 20-25 fulfill all the requirements like labs, efficient faculty, infrastructure, etc. Many of them dislike their college they are expecting more and experiencing poor environment around them.Even though the projects are copy-paste, they are not aware of basics. Few of our classmates completed project on Induction motor without knowing its principle. College managements are money minded. This should not be entertained. 😑
  • optimystix
    optimystix
    The_Big_K
    The 'few are fit to hire' context in the discussion, I believe, considers the technical job eligibility of candidates. As Ishutopre said, it is the education system. But I believe it's only to a limited extent. The actual part of the problem is the lack of motivation towards acquiring new skills.

PS: How many really worked on acquiring a new skill than killing time on Facebook today? πŸ˜€
    couldn't have been said more aptly!

there is hardly any visible enthusiasm among college students in gaining knowledge. All they do is rote learn from guide books and solution sets, just to pass the exam. But rather than the students it is the education system in most parts of our country that is responsible for this. Education, in India, has become more of a hardcore business than being a good education imparting system.

even at my college, I try encouraging people to take up active interest in extra curricular activities and learn stuffs outside the syllabus but there are hardly any takers. Even the college is not interested in supporting the activities. There really is no motivational factor for students to take up self learning and equip themselves with extra knowledge.

The problem with 'scores of graduates but few hires' is that most people maybe intelligent and hardworking but not enough knowledgeable. Without proper knowledge on a subject, one cant use his/her intellect and hard working skills to get their problem solved.

Just compare a teenager from India with that of one in U.S.A. or some European country. Compare their skill sets and you will see how much we(Indians) lag behind them. No wonder we still haven't got our own 'Gates', 'Jobs' or 'Dell' in spite of being known as an IT hotspot.

In today's world, being smart and intelligent is more important than being intelligent and hardworking.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    optimystix
    Just compare a teenager from India with that of one in U.S.A. or some European country. Compare their skill sets and you will see how much we(Indians) lag behind them. No wonder we still haven't got our own 'Gates', 'Jobs' or 'Dell' in spite of being known as an IT hotspot.

In today's world, being smart and intelligent is more important than being intelligent and hardworking.
    I couldn't agree more. This is exactly the sorry state of the system. I wish we could revamp the whole scenario or begin everything from scratch.
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    Coming to this discussion after a long time. First let me give a 'Like' to opti. πŸ˜€

Now coming to Biggie, then I agree to his point to keep 'education system' away and Lastly I want to talk something about skill set as Biggie mentioned. πŸ˜€ I want to mention about a hard work and smartness of a man I came across.
    A few days back I came across a man who is a computer Engineer by trade. (As usual I hardly remember his name :razzπŸ˜€ But that person is interested in Electrical, and working as a mechanical engineer.

He owns a big agricultural land and earns a great amount from farming too (You must be knowing that farming is considered to be a 'Loss business' in regions especially Vidarbha 😲 )

He owns a big garage in Hingna MIDC (near my college) area where he renovates old antique cars like old Rolls Royce, mercedes Benz. Well I do not have words for him. When you will meet him you will understand how great a man he is!
    So you would but naturally ask what is it to do with skill set right? So all I want to tell you that he started from scratch in other words he started everything from nothing. Can you believe that? It is a true story.

So from this example I want to tell you that I agree with you on all your points that it is our inner skills are required to achieve something great.

What say people? Awesome? 😁

He was from some other field but he believed in himself that is more important. I think even if he had not graduated still he would have done something marvelous.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    We aren't talking about being awesome or pursuit of excellence. The main thought here is the graduates being unemployable. Which means, the graduates fall short of the expectations of the industry. How can this be addressed?

I believe one way to address this is by forming strong industry-university connections. Today's graduates have no clue what to expect in the Industry. The 'summer trainings' are big joke (in most of the cases at least). I believe a real change can be brought by the professors who have a big say in colleges. Let the professors actively lead the student - industry relationships and we'll see students become more aware of what's expected from them.

Curriculum changes would follow.
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    The_Big_K
    Facebook is killing productive time.

If I can suggest in that case the idea of E-Cell would be helpful plus the students should constantly search for something. I came across about the phenomenon I would like to explain in my own words.

Students, sleep during their semesters and work hard only during exams. I am talking sleep in the sense that they are not motivated to do anything new may be silly but we must try. For me I was also the same case until a few days ago.

But now, we, about a group of 25 students have started to build a car for SAE (This is apart from our final year project. Please note that. We all know that we are going to fail because we are competing with best engineers of industry.)

So in the end I would say

Good ideas( like E-cell)+ Constantly being engaged in something +contantly judging ourselves= Bharat will graduate *productive* millions

what say?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Dr.S.Arun Kumar, Department of Computer Science and Engineering ,IIT Delhi explained the concept of Structured Data in Principles of Programming Languages. Feel free to ask your questions and contribute your...
Dr.S.Arun Kumar, Department of Computer Science and Engineering ,IIT Delhi explained the concept of Sequences in Principles of Programming Languages. Feel free to ask your questions and contribute your ideas...
Dr.S.Arun Kumar, Department of Computer Science and Engineering ,IIT Delhi explained the concept of Control in Principles of Programming Languages. Feel free to ask your questions and contribute your ideas...
Dr.S.Arun Kumar, Department of Computer Science and Engineering ,IIT Delhi explained the concept of Non-Determinacy in Principles of Programming Languages. Feel free to ask your questions and contribute your ideas...
Dr.S.Arun Kumar, Department of Computer Science and Engineering ,IIT Delhi explained the concept of Programming Languages in Principles of Programming Languages. Feel free to ask your questions and contribute your...