In trouble......................plz do help

hello .......
m using vista home edition... few days ago i uninstalled my yahoo messenger...
then i again tried to reinstall......but it was showing "installation has been interrupted" i tried 5-6 times but all in vain .......it goes to 70-80% processing then shows this mess....
then i start defragmenting my disk.......... n after completion i opened 'my computers' it was showing around 4 gb extra used in c drive. where my 4 gb has been used????๐Ÿ˜• i have no idea i did not installed any damn thing ...........nothing i stored on that drive. even i restored my system a day back....but nothing happened with that too...
now whenever i turn on my laptop every time there is reduction of .2 gb of free space in C. when i open c: my laptop go slow.......... after tat nothing get open......
is it any virus issue??? though i don't think so....... i have checked in task manager no unknown process is running........even I've checked at startup prog nothing is like indicating virus.....m using avg......and no virus detection is there......
plz help me out guys....my laptop is getting too slow... plz tell solution other than formating it...

thanks n regards
megha

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Please use proper text formatting in your posts and refrain from using SMS text anywhere on CE.
  • sookie
    sookie
    Don't worry I guess there is nothing to do with your yahoo messenger installation or virus. Problem may be you have not de fragmented it well. Once I also got same problem. Restoring the system would not manage your disk partitions things.So follow defragmentation steps carefully. I am assuming you have only one C:\ drive available in your system right? If suppose it is of some 250GB then it would allow you to partition only upto certain system specific limit.

Step 1: Right Click "My Computer" and click on "Manage" option. It will open computer management window.
    Step 2: In the "Navigation Pane" , under "Storage" click "Disk Management".
    Step 3: Right Click the volume you want to shrink and then click "Shrink volume". One important thing , just check if your actual 250GB(or whatever) is free or not after "Shrink Volume" or not. It should be completely unallocated. If there you see it is some 2GB or 4GB less than actual storage space then "Shrink Volume" that particular allocation.

I fixed similar problem few time back in my laptop also but I cannot try it tweaking with it again as I have now lot of precious data in it.

Hoping you are getting what I am trying to say and it is regrading the problem you are getting. See if this works and if problem still persists ,Please share the screen shot of your "Computer Management" window showing allocation of space clearly.

Thanks !
  • megha chhabra
    megha chhabra
    thank you so much but there are 3 partition of my hard drive already.
    what should i do now
  • Aashish Joshi
    Aashish Joshi
    Go to My Computer -> right click on C drive -> Click on Properties -> Click on Disk Cleanup button

The computer will now look for useless files that can be safely deleted from your computer. After this is done, you will see a window which will display the amount of space you will free after you perform a cleanup.. click on OK and then windows will clean up your drive for you.

Also, the disk space that you think has been lost, could be used by the system restore to keep a backup in case you restore your computer to an earlier time. You can change the amount of disk space available for system restore.

NOTE that lesser amount of disk space you specify, the number of system restore points will be reduced accordingly..
  • Paritosh222
    Paritosh222
    hey first of get rid of vista, because i think vista is worst O.S, don't know about you, Windows 7's beta version are there download it and install , it is damn good then vista and runs smoothly even at 1gb.
  • megha chhabra
    megha chhabra
    I've performed disk cleanup but of no use. i have one more query that i'm having hp laptop and no drivers are provided with it. a recovry drive(d๐Ÿ˜€ is there in it. Now i'm thinking of formatting it. would my cam , touch pad, wifi , bluetooth , fingur print will work as it is without the drivers. if i would perform formatting will there be formatting of recovery drive also. and how can i perform formatting of c: only.

and in case if i want to have windows 7 from where i can find it on net???
    can u please suggest me any site.
    thanks
  • Aashish Joshi
    Aashish Joshi
    You can make a backup of your recovery drive on DVDs..Go to the start menu and look for Recovery options..There you will find how you can make a backup of your recovery drive..If you have any doubts, use the instructions in the link below:

#-Link-Snipped-#

I think you can get a free beta version of Windows 7 from Microsoft's website
  • megha chhabra
    megha chhabra
    thanks everyone
    my problem has been solved . it was due to restore points were set in c:.
    i put them off.now 30 gb space is free after that

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hi friends m in 3rd year (ECE) and i wanna go for some some additional courses. so regarding that i wanna know will it be better for me to do...
Hey can anyone give me some ideas or any designs for T-shirt Civil Engineers..???๐Ÿ˜• Please its a crises..!!!โ˜•๐Ÿ˜ญ PS : - Sorry MODS if this is not the right place...
Hi guys welcome to the quiz event.In this Section you will have 10 questions to answer..The one who answers all the ten questions will be declared as CRAZY ENGINEER OF...
I wanna do a project(may be a mini project) within a duration of 1 month. The condition is that i must use C++. No other restriction. I wanna do something...
hi friends i wanna know how can i get a online part time job and it shouldn't be a fake one . ๐Ÿ˜