Improve your essay in a week

Easy Ways to Improve

The analytical writing section is important and different from most of thebecause it is *marked by a human rather than a computer*!
These human markers will be under a lot of pressure. They may have to mark 20-plus essays in an hour. So your essay doesn't have a lot of time to impress.
Two of the most vital things you MUST remember for the essay question are:

1. WRITE LEGIBLY! The marker will NOT waste time trying to decipher impossible handwriting
  2. Read the essay prompt carefully, then KEEP ON-TOPIC! Markers are told to give off-topic essays a ZERO mark!
It is essential that you remember these two rules to avoid a disaster on your GRE essay section.
The Really Boring Essay Question

Imagine this. You've studied your vocabulary video lessons really well. You've practiced writing lots of great essays - you feel good to go!
Then you sit down in the exam and find yourself confronted with the most BORING essay prompt you could imagine. Whatever topic it is that bores you stiff, you suddenly find yourself having to write an essay on it for the next 25 minutes!
This is a real pain in the neck, but it happens often, so you must be prepared for the eventuality. To prevent this causing you a disaster on the day of your test, you should regularly practice finding and expanding a "pretend opinion" on things that you don't care a fig about. You could pretend to be someone else, and say, "People who like xxx would give the following reasons why this is a bad/good idea: .... " And so on.
The nub of the matter is that you have to be able to come up with an essay on pretty much anything, so practice writing essays as a skill, regardless of the content.
In the next lesson, we'll talk about essay templates, which will be a big help for you in these kind of situations, as well as for the essay section generally.
Essay Templates

Creating your own essay templates is a simple task and an extremely effective use of your time during GRE exam preparation. It will put you ahead of a *huge* chunk of the crowd!
Lots of students waste a bunch of time in the GRE exam essay section by trying to work out the flow of their essay. The reality is that a GRE exam essay can take a standard structure and be quickly adapted to the topic you find yourself having to write about.
An example of an essay structure might be:

1. Introductory paragraph
  2. Supporting information #1 ...linked to...
  3. Supporting information #2 ... linked to...
  4. Supporting information #3
  5. Conclusion
Get one or more essay templates of your own together and learn them by heart. It will save you a lot of time and stress in your test!
Reading for GRE Essay Success

Reading widely and often is a key success factor for the essay portion of the GRE. As you read more and more - editorial material is particularly good for this - you will subconsciously absorb the structure of a good essay and of properly constructed English.
A good idea is to set your internet homepage to a quality news site. This will make you more likely to read quality articles and editorials on a regular basis. Do this now, not the week before your exam!
How Long Should My Essays Be?

Lots of people will tell you that your essays should be "as long as possible" and even that you should use "as many long words as possible". This isn't necessarily the best approach.
The examiners are looking for your ability to express yourself clearly and present your ideas sensibly, not for how much you can write in a short space of time.
Hopefully by now you have moved lots of the important words that we covered in the GRE Vocabulary Videos from your passive to your active vocabulary, so that you will be able to draw on them in your essay. Use them APPROPRIATELY, and write as much as you need to write to get a clearly cohesive essay down, NOT the longest essay you can produce with the most words!

Replies

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Wow! Great piece of information. πŸ˜€
  • Reya
    Reya
    Great Work!This could really help meπŸ˜€ThanksπŸ˜€
  • Radhika Deshpande
    Radhika Deshpande
    Very informative . 😁
  • shiwa436
    shiwa436
    never think of like this.........

If I am asked to write this post, I may give 10 points as some advices. I never think of building essays like this....

Anyhow thank you very much for the information. Very informative. Might help me......
  • Neema Ambhurkar
    Neema Ambhurkar
    Thank you for providing with a great piece of information. It will surely help the GRE exam takers. πŸ˜€
  • georgerobinson
    georgerobinson
    I can say without any doubt that it works. Well structured based on important steps to be noticed while writing.
    And the attitude of the person also needs to be positive in order to be effective.
  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    Nice one yaar... Awesome work... πŸ˜€

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hello..i am new to this forums..i am here to searching trainings in bio tech
i have a doubt that though 8085 is a 8-bit processors why do we give input as a two 4-bit values?πŸ˜’
Hi i have made an ADC using a microcontroller such that if i change the resistance the digital value changes from 0 to 255. i have interfaced this to a...
Hello guy's, As we know we have the facility to interprete your java script and HTML code on our blog. Any one have idea how to embed our java applet...
SiliconIndia surveyed people from the IT industry to find out top 10 reasons why people quit their job in IT industry. 1. Mismatch between the promised job and the situation...