View Feed
group-icon
Coffee Room
Discuss anything here - everything that you wish to discuss with fellow engineers.
12921 Members
Join this group to post and comment.
Kaustubh Katdare
Kaustubh Katdare • Jun 5, 2014

If Violence Is In Genes - Should The Courts Be Lenient In Punishments

Researchers have indicated that there are certain genes in humans that are linked to the violent behavior. MAOA is such a gene in the DNA that humans have no control over. Most interestingly this study was used in a 2009 trial in Italy and led to reduction in the punishment of a murder.

What do you think? Should the courts be lenient in punishment if the actual controller of your action is your genes; which you got from your parents?
It is little confusing and tough to decide between the sides but i think the judgement should consider the situation of the act/ surrounding environment and brought up in addition to evidence .I don't think its fully affected by genes.May be they can decrease the level of judgement.
Kaustubh Katdare
Kaustubh Katdare • Jun 6, 2014
Yep - this is indeed a tough debate; and that's why I decided to start it here.
Hello sir
Anoop Mathew
Anoop Mathew • Jun 8, 2014
Kaustubh Katdare
Researchers have indicated that there are certain genes in humans that are linked to the violent behavior. MAOA is such a gene in the DNA that humans have no control over. Most interestingly this study was used in a 2009 trial in Italy and led to reduction in the punishment of a murder.

What do you think? Should the courts be lenient in punishment if the actual controller of your action is your genes; which you got from your parents?
Crime requires punishment. This is the only option to filter out the mentally/physically/genetically outrageous people who live amid-st us. It's not as if the crime was committed ignorantly.

Share this content on your social channels -