If Violence Is In Genes - Should The Courts Be Lenient In Punishments

Researchers have indicated that there are certain genes in humans that are linked to the violent behavior. MAOA is such a gene in the DNA that humans have no control over. Most interestingly this study was used in a 2009 trial in Italy and led to reduction in the punishment of a murder.

What do you think? Should the courts be lenient in punishment if the actual controller of your action is your genes; which you got from your parents?

Replies

• Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    It is little confusing and tough to decide between the sides but i think the judgement should consider the situation of the act/ surrounding environment and brought up in addition to evidence .I don't think its fully affected by genes.May be they can decrease the level of judgement.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Yep - this is indeed a tough debate; and that's why I decided to start it here.
  • Gurwinder Singh
    Gurwinder Singh
    Hello sir
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Researchers have indicated that there are certain genes in humans that are linked to the violent behavior. MAOA is such a gene in the DNA that humans have no control over. Most interestingly this study was used in a 2009 trial in Italy and led to reduction in the punishment of a murder.

What do you think? Should the courts be lenient in punishment if the actual controller of your action is your genes; which you got from your parents?
    Crime requires punishment. This is the only option to filter out the mentally/physically/genetically outrageous people who live amid-st us. It's not as if the crime was committed ignorantly.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Rosetta, a space probe by the European Space Agency is set to do something that no space probe from earth has ever done: Orbit and land on a comet. It...
Hi All IE's, I was just reading something on the internet when I came across this rather interesting topic on the salaries of an Industrial engineer. Now, if the fact...
Moving beyond passwords for authentication when logging in to a system, an app, an online service was a long-time calling. Largely because of the increase in incidents of passwords getting...
An unflagging zeal for knowledge and love for bikes aptly describe our CEan @Vikram S Bargah . His contribution to CE has been great with his active involvement in discussions...
Imagine a good old house with roof tiles that help keeps the air around it safe to breath. A team of engineers from Bourns College of Engineering at University of...