Idioms..

I didn't saw a thread dedicated to idioms on this forum...
Aren't we too late ...
we should have start it too early...
here i am starting a thread on this....
Its like you need to give 5 idioms in reply of a mail...no spaming...in btw..you can give comment but if you want to use comments use idioms in that
otherwise just paste 5 idioms...

hey one more thing....there on this nothing should be there except idioms ...you you are saying something say it with help of idioms...
POUR COMMENTS....

--Crazy

Replies

• Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    To get in/to get on-> to enter or a board a vehicle
    To get out off/to get off->to leave or to descend from a vehicle
    To put on-> to place on oneself
    to put off->to remove
    to call up->to telephone..
    --crazy
  • Neha
    Neha
    here i go..

1. second nature: easy and natural to someone.
    Eg: Learning to golf is second nature to some people. They can hit the ball well with no problem the very first time.

2, second to none: the very best.
    Eg: The food in that restaurant is second to none. You really get the best meals there.

3, six of one, half a dozen of the other: no difference, either choice okay.
    Eg: We can either stay at home or go to the movie. I don't care. For me, it's six of one, half a dozen of the other.

4, sixth sense: a special feeling for something, or a special understanding of things.
    Eg: Lisa has a sixth sense for directions. She always knows which road to take to get where she wants to go.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Good job guys! ๐Ÿ˜€

Such threads are useful. Looking forward to more posts on this thread.

[โ€‹IMG]

-The Big K-
  • Neha
    Neha
    some more..

1.as easy as pie: very easy.
    Eg. "I thought you said this was a difficult problem. It isn't. In fact, it's as easy as pie."

2.at the eleventh hour: at the last minute; almost too late.
    Eg. "Yes, I got the work done in time. I finished it at the eleventh hour, but I wasn't late.

3.be all ears: be eager to hear what someone has to say.
    Eg. A: "I just got an e-mail message from our old friend Sally."
    B: "Tell me what she said. I'm all ears!"

4.be on the go: be very busy (going from one thing or project to another).
    Eg. "I'm really tired. I've been on the go all week long."
  • Neha
    Neha
    One More..

"kick somebody when he is down"

Meaning: "to attack somebody at the moment when he is in a difficult position and unable to defend himself"
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    Its not gonna work this way...

Now i will ask 1 idioms and you need to answer them... one who answer should post some idioms as question

So mine is
    '...not your cup of tea...'???
  • aashima
    aashima
    my turn

crazyboy
    Its not gonna work this way...

Now i will ask 1 idioms and you need to answer them... one who answer should post some idioms as question

So mine is
    '...not your cup of tea...'???
    Well it means "you dont have the ability to do ...."
    e.g. : Conquering the top of mount everst is not everyone's cup of tea.

next one wold be "out of the blue.."
  • AlameluKrishnan
    AlameluKrishnan
    aashima

Out of nowhere.
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    AlameluKrishnan
    Out of nowhere.
    Right

"....Black and blue..."???
  • AlameluKrishnan
    AlameluKrishnan
    Skin is covered with bruises
  • Pankaj Sharma
    Pankaj Sharma
    meaning to "out of the blue"

aashima

I guess that it means something like "when something gets to you from an unexpected or strange, unfamiliar place."

Sentence: "The death of his father in a car accident just when he was about to celebrate his enlightenment the very next day was just like a bolt from out of the blue"
  • aashima
    aashima
    Oka

Pankaj Sharma
    I guess that it means something like "when something gets to you from an unexpected or strange, unfamiliar place."

Sentence: "The death of his father in a car accident just when he was about to celebrate his enlightenment the very next day was just like a bolt from out of the blue"
    That's right!!!

Well next would be " once in a blue moon".
  • Neha
    Neha
    That occurs very rarely.

"Cut out me dead"
  • Neha
    Neha
    No replies..Strange!

Any answers or I post in??
  • AlameluKrishnan
    AlameluKrishnan
    Is it "Being the right type for being dead"? Not sure
  • Neha
    Neha
    Well well well that means to ignore a person.

eg. The boss cut out me dead when I asked for a holiday.
  • Neha
    Neha
    I forgot to post a new one.

Here it is,

over one's head
  • aashima
    aashima
    Does it means "pestering someone and taking his advatage" ?
  • Neha
    Neha
    The idiom means too complicated or difficult to understand.

eg."This IIT quiz is over my head.I don't think I will ever be able to solve it!"

Next One:

"sleep on it"
  • Neha
    Neha
    No answer tilll now๐Ÿ˜•

Shall I post the answer?
  • Neha
    Neha
    Well here's the answer:

sleep on it-take at least a day to think about something before making a decision.
    "The job that you're offering me sounds really good, but I'd like
    to sleep on it before giving you my final decision."
    โ€‹
  • Neha
    Neha
    Its better to post an idiom with its answer alongwith.

Here's one:

A bull in a china shop : a situation where a person finds himself out of place and deals too roughly with a delicate problem.
  • aashima
    aashima
    Here is one more:
    All roads lead to Rome - There is more than one effective way to do something

Now may I have anyone to reveal the meaning of - Apple of one's eye ?
    Do hit back soon CEans.
  • Neha
    Neha
    Apple of one's eye
    Originally meaning the central aperture of the eye. Figuratively it is something, or more usually someone, cherished above others.
  • aashima
    aashima
    Neha
    Apple of one's eye
    Originally meaning the central aperture of the eye. Figuratively it is something, or more usually someone, cherished above others.

Thats true Neha. It suely means one who is loved more than others!
    The next one would be "monkey around (with someone or something)"
  • Neha
    Neha
    Monkey Around...

Does it mean "not be serious"??

Next idiom is : Real McCoy
  • Neha
    Neha
    The Real McCoy
    Informal The authentic thing or quality; something that is not an imitation or substitute

Sentence: This gem is the real McCoy!
  • Sorayna
    Sorayna
    I like this๐Ÿ˜€
  • Neha
    Neha
    Sorayna
    I like this๐Ÿ˜€
    Thanks!๐Ÿ˜€
    Why don't u post one!
  • DEP
    DEP
    hey everyone,

i would first like to congratulate neha for starting this thread. I am going to post some idioms as well very soon.There is one thing i would like to add.. wont it be more useful if you also provide everyone with a sentence with the usage of the idiom that you post.. just as neha did in her second post explaining the idiom "sleep on it".
  • Neha
    Neha
    DEP
    hey everyone,

i would first like to congratulate neha for starting this thread.
    hey, the thread z started by crazyboy and the credit goes to him.
    I am going to post some idioms as well very soon.There is one thing i would like to add.. wont it be more useful if you also provide everyone with a sentence with the usage of the idiom that you post.. just as neha did in her second post explaining the idiom "sleep on it".
    Yeah! that z something that will surely help in memorising them.
  • Neha
    Neha
    Doubting Thomas
    One who is habitually doubtful!
    Origin:
    The term alludes to the disciple Thomas, who doubted Jesus's resurrection until he had first-hand evidence of it

Sentence:
    He was a doubting Thomas about the coming merger, not believing it would ever happen.
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    Neha
    hey, the thread z started by crazyboy and the credit goes to him.

Yeah! that z something that will surely help in memorising them.
    Neha!! Thanks for being the most active member on this thread Keep the spirit high...
    Since long back I was not able to devote my time to CE... in future I will surely try to updates threads regularly...

Today's chapter:

make a mountain out of a molehill: make something seem much more important than it really is.

Example: "Calm down. There's really nothing to worry about.
    You're making a mountain out of a molehill."

--Crazy
  • Neha
    Neha
    be carried out feet first
    if someone will not leave a place until they are carried out feet first, they will not leave until they are dead.

Sentence:
    James would never leave his home to go to a retirement village - he'd be carried out feet first!
  • Neha
    Neha
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]A Leopard Can't Change His Spots[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
    When people state that they can't change who they are--their nature--they sometimes use the phrase "A leopard can't change his spots" (it's used in much the same way as "you can't teach an old dog new tricks"). The phrase about leopards is descended from the Bible, in the book of Jeremiah: "Can the Ethiopian change his skin or the leopard his spots?"
    [/FONT]
  • DEP
    DEP
    to beat around the bush
  • Prasad Ajinkya
    Prasad Ajinkya
    to not address the main issue, but instead dilly-dally on the periphery?

to be wet behind one's ears
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    This is a cool thread. Do not know why this went into oblivion...

Bumping the thread...
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    Flight of fancy: an idea or suggestion that is out of touch with reality or possibility.

Sentence:
    What is the point in indulging in flights of fancy about foreign vacations when you cannot even afford the rent?
  • ms_cs
    ms_cs
    burn the midnight oil :- to stay up working, especially studying, late at night.

Sentence: I have a big exam tomorrow so I'll be burning the midnight oil tonight.
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    sleep on it-take at least a day to think about something before making a decision.

Sentence:
    The job that you're offering me sounds really good, but I'd like to sleep on it before giving you my final decision.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Assume that each statement is either true or false. What is the unknown (whole) number from the following possibly false statements: At least one of the last two statements in...
Hello everyone! while you read this new post get a cup of coffee to really enjoy it!! ๐Ÿ˜‰ I am posting here a story which has made a lasting impression...
Hi All, At very now...we 6 are on line... Me, Neha, Admin, Aasima, Aditi and Integratdbrains I want to talk to some of these buddies....how will I... Either there should...
Friends! Did you check out your Browser's address bar? ๐Ÿ˜‰ Notice the 'CE' icon ๐Ÿ˜ ! Its called 'Favicon'. I hope you like it. -The Big K-
Hello everyone We have a thread for guitar,novels,piano etc etc....but why don't we have the thread for internet??....i think thats the reason y we are here...So i just thought of...