Ideas for CE firefox toolbar

Alrighty,
This is for all you CEans who use firefox.

This is the thread to brainstorm ideas for the firefox extension(toolbar). basically how it should look, what will be it's functions, et all.

Pour in your ideas here.

Before that, I suggest you install a small extension for firefox. The extension name is stumbleupon.

#-Link-Snipped-#

I suggest this because this is how I have imagined our CE extension will also look like. It has a nice toolbar having many functionalities. While I dont suggest that we ape this, it might be good to try this and take the good things from this.

do chip in whatever things you might have in your mind.
Thanks!!

Replies

• Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    Oh Boy I love Firefox !!!

I am looking for a extension (Tool Bar) which will save all my bookmarks online, I can save my friends just like stumble upon. By which I can save all my browser customized settings, so tyhat I will feel homely at the time of using FF.

-CrazyBoy is Back.
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    Hi crazyboy, for storing bookmarks, you can use foxmarks bookmark synchronizer for firefox.

However, this thread is meant for discussion of CE firefox extension.

Please visit this thread for discussions about firefox extensions in general.

#-Link-Snipped-#

Thanks!!
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    silverscorpion
    Hi crazyboy, for storing bookmarks, you can use foxmarks bookmark synchronizer for firefox.

However, this thread is meant for discussion of CE firefox extension.

Please visit this thread for discussions about firefox extensions in general.

#-Link-Snipped-#

Thanks!!
    Ohh !!! Thanks buddy for the information. I missed the thread motive in a hurry.

-CrazyBoy
  • raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    Changed the thread title to a more appropriate one.
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    @Scorpion Superb ๐Ÿ˜€

Come on "Firefox using CEans", put down your minds here what you would like to see in a toolbar that can help you in making your work easier while using CE site. ๐Ÿ˜€

To make your task some what easier- our Nilay Sir has put some ideas, Please do elaborate them atleast. See below.

NiLaY
    Features we discussed the last time-

1. Login from the Bar (without hitting the page)
    2. Extreme shortcuts (links to fav section/threads)
    3. [Probable] Notification of replies/watched-threads
    4. Formatting messages
    5. Posting messages
    6. Birthday notifiers, Today's birthday (maybe)
    7. Almost whole of CP (Profile, Signature etc. edit)
    8. Latest Posts ( Dynamically updated )
    9. Real time chat with online members ( possible? ) (this would take care of CE Messenger! )
    10. Current CE Strength
    11. Latest updated thread

Suggestions/comments invited.
    If you don't have any of your idea, just do select the most important and prioritize the one listed above and discuss with us in detail something about each feature here.Your efforts will be really appreciating. ๐Ÿ˜€

Thanks a lot
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    Ok, let me prioritise the items given in the list. This would be my own opinion and any suggestions for change is always welcome.

First and foremost would obviously be login from the toolbar without hitting the site.
    2) Notifiers for update in subscribed threads(We dont want to notify each and every update in all threads..)
    3) An icon which would to take us to a page where all our subscribed threads would be listed.(Just like new posts search..)
    4) Birthday notifiers

Wat else?? I dont know..

Right now I have no idea of how we can include posting and formatting options in the toolbar. Any comments on this??
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    ok Scorpion, first priority if we keep as login from toolbar- don't you think it requires authentication things, for which few people(CE team I guess) have some objections? ๐Ÿ˜•

If they are OK with it, we can go and start doing it right?

Next about notifiers, do let me know in details about it. I mean get me a draft kind of thing detailing about it. OK?

Others after this. ๐Ÿ˜€
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    Ok. I agree that the authentication thing is a bit complex and I have no idea about it.
    But then, if you think about it, naturally login would be the first job anyone would do on CE.
    Anyhow, we can start off with other trivial jobs and integrate the login part at a later stage,
    if you wish so. Frankly, none of us seem to know the authentication procedure, so I'm confused
    as to how to proceed.

That's why I asked you to test the stumbleupon extension. You can clearly understand how
    login is done from the toolbar itself. There's an option for permanently logged on too. Try it
    and do post your views about it.
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    And coming to notifiers, I've mentioned two : Post update notifiers and birthday notifiers.

Update notifiers announce that some particular post has been updated. Since it's not a good idea to
    notify each and every update, we'll restrict this to only updates in the subscribed threads that a user has.
    Notification can be done by using any visual cues, like some change in an icon. A color change or a new icon,
    for example.

As for birthday notifiers, that's simple. It involves only linking with the database and fetching the usernames
    of those whose b'day falls on that day. We can keep that as a drop down list.

I think I'm clear about notifiers. Anything else?? ๐Ÿ˜‰
  • ms_cs
    ms_cs
    @scorpion:We can ask maro for login details

@Maro:Can you give the details regarding to authentication
  • ms_cs
    ms_cs
    We can start with login itself ...If we know the details of that it will not that much complex
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    Hey guys !

I guess you are right? We can make our toolbar better if we can have login thing first right? So priority is login option from toolbar.

I will find some time to look at how we can do that.

@Scorpion Stumbleupon is a very good plug-in as well as a difficult inside also ๐Ÿ˜‰ so understanding about it requires some time for me. ๐Ÿ˜€

Keeping in mind that we all 3 poor fellows don't know much about authentication thing , we need to seek some help from someone else or either need to devote some more time for looking how to do logins.

OK

If you guys have ideas about this priority thing, feel free to tell by any means or else wait for me to devote some time to it. ๐Ÿ˜€
  • ms_cs
    ms_cs
    I have already asked to MaRo...We will get the answer soon I think...
  • xero
    xero
    Hey scorpion, sorry for a late join in this thread. I've a few basic questions

> What's the primary intent of the CE toolbar?
    > Looking at the requirements quoted by Nilay i feel that an extension will be a better choice.

Usually we use toolbar for notification purposes. I don't think stumble upon is a correct toolbar to compare with, because we basically request the stumble upon server to serve our request, and as far as i can remember. Regarding SU authentication there must be a few webservices exposed from SU server for authentication.

I really have no idea how to authenticate server without sending the request to server. Even if you try to perform authentication, find out how the portal is doing it and submitting similar parameters to the server. You can do this using Firebug plugin of firefox. Its a really efficient and powerful plugin which can help you studying the whole webpage ๐Ÿ˜€

And the idea of directly connecting to CE db, doesn't sound much of a good idea. So basically you want the CE database to be exposed. Kindly do some more of homework, in a way we can narrow down the requirements considering the vulnerability of the whole system ๐Ÿ˜€

Please do correct if i'm wrong somehow.

Thanks
  • MaRo
    MaRo
    Guys, no db access, just an HTTP request sent to a login form, according to the returned text results, user may be authenticated or not.

That primarily what I thought about, because more routes to database is a bad thing, I can't have the last word about security at this point but it isn't bad as a start at least.
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    Guys,

Few things are coming to my mind, don't know how much correct or wrong ๐Ÿ˜•

1. CE toolbar is an extension only, if I am wrong do correct me ?

2. OK Lets us keep stumbleupon aside, then thinking of simple login is ok for us. We have no issues neither we have any interest in exploring CE db.So we are ok with trying our hands on dummy DB also and then later connecting it to CE db. But don't we need CE database's structure? What all tables and attributes are there we need to know right? And where what is stored? Then only we can pick up records from there and show it using CE toolbar functionality right?

3. If finally we are going to do this authentication things in CE-IM and this FF also then why don't you guys(xero & Maro) help us out in it. I mean common kind of work but serving two purposes.

Any say? Feel free to say ๐Ÿ˜€

Thanks
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    xero
    > What's the primary intent of the CE toolbar?
    > Looking at the requirements quoted by Nilay i feel that an extension will be a better choice.
    ok.

1) First of all, I dont clearly know the difference between an extension and a toolbar. As far as I know, an extension may have a toolbar also.

2) I stated stumbleupon only as an example, and if you guys feel that it's irrelevant in our context, then we can look for some other things to base our design on. No problem with that.

3) And I also agree that we should do something about the security. I really dont understand what Maro has said, but if that proves to be secure, then we may as well use it.

That's all for now.
  • ms_cs
    ms_cs
    Extension is the functionality extend from firefox.
    Toolbar is an example to extension.And both are addons...
    Our toolbar should extend the some of the functionalities of the firefox.I dont know whether I am correct or not...Just now I collected these informations...

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

the line shuld be thick(5 line thickness)..tats wat i wat to kno..anybody submit d applet program for thi...๐Ÿ˜•
hi i need dijkstra shortest path in java applet animation.......๐Ÿ˜’
Hallo Can any body help me for repairing of motherboards. Is there any site providing with details.
need a device is there any device that can convert sound waves into electrical signals?
Ok I have moved part of the posts here. We can discuss everything about Fighter Planes in this thread. Here is the link to Flanker-H's specification Sukhoi Su-30MKI - Wikipedia,...