Icy Finger if Death - A Chilling Movie from BBC

#-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• durga ch
    durga ch
    I did not quite understand what was happening :-s. can someone who watched the video already elucidate?
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    Oops.. The video is not up anymore. It's removed.

Based on what I watched and understood, there is a water body. A stream of water flows into it, just like a river flows into the sea. That stream has a very high salt content.
    Because of that high salt content, the freezing point of water around the point where the stream flows into the sea is lowered (It's a colligative property).
    So, water freezes around the path where the stream flows into the sea, in a column of ice.
    Liquid water flows around the column, but the path where the salty water flows solidifies into an ice column and proceeds deep.

Once it reaches the ocean floor, it starts engulfing all the fish and other organisms around in the icy sheath, freezing and killing them instantly.

Pretty scary and chilling to watch, it was!! 😲
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    The video is available #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    silverscorpion
    Once it reaches the ocean floor, it starts engulfing all the fish and other organisms around in the icy sheath, freezing and killing them instantly.

Pretty scary and chilling to watch, it was!! 😲
    😕 *trembles* Scary description it is.
    high salt content -> Does it refer to the DEAD SEA?
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    Well, not necessarily.

Colligative properties are properties of fluids that depend on the number of molecules of a substance present in a fluid, rather than the molecules themselves.
    So, when a solute (salt) is added to a solvent (water) to make a solution (brine solution), the freezing point of the solution becomes less than the freezing point of the solvent.

By how much the freezing point decreases depends on the number of molecules of the solute in the solution. So, since it instantly freezes the water it comes into contact with, the salt content must be pretty high indeed.

But then, the article mentions that the video was shot at Little Razorback Island, near Antarctica's Ross Archipelago. So, it's not dead sea. 😀

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

BBC News - How rainwater harvesting is helping Nicaraguan farmers
Grand Quiz Contest Question #23 is worth 15 CE Coins! What do the following words all have in common? FAR BLOW BACON LATHER FASTING WARINESS PACEMAKER ---------------------------------------------------- Fastest to answer...
Grand Quiz Contest Question #24 is worth 15 CE Coins! What do the following common words all have in common? BEATS COINS ELBOW GREET HOSES DOORS OTTER PEONS REFER RICED...
Grand Quiz Contest Question #25 Worth 30 CE Coins! ACROSS 1. Name of a film studio. 4. Color of this bird is slate. 11. He won against Joe, but Leon...
Hello there, My name is Allen Jones, a very new member to this forum. I found this forum very informative and I am really very excited here to take part...