IBM Ponder This Puzzle: October Edition: Complete the sequence

Complete the following sequence :

1, 13, 2, 1, 5, 3, 2, 1, 4, 4, 7, 3, 1, 5, 3, 5, ?, ?

Any takers?

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    The_Big_K
    Complete the following sequence :

1, 13, 2, 1, 5, 3, 2, 1, 4, 4, 7, 3, 1, 5, 3, 5, ?, ?

Any takers?
    Too big for your little brains, folks [​IMG] ?
  • electron1212
    electron1212
    last number in the seq is 2 ...am i rite ?
  • skipper
    skipper
    Look at subgroups starting with 1:

1,5,3,5,?,?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    electron1212
    last number in the seq is 2 ...am i rite ?
    How about detailed explanation?
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    A real tough one for my small mind 😁 I am scratching my head since long but all in vain. This IBM "Ponder this" is a bit tougher then the usual ones.

Biggi could you please provide any clue for this???

-CB
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    will you provide any clue for us Biggie.
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    Biggie, can you give any clue for us..
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    *bump*

Don't give up so easily, folks.
  • skipper
    skipper
    1,5,3,5,?,?

Write it in binary:
    1,101,11,101,??

Rewrite as sums of powers of 2:
    0,3+2+0,1
    0,2+0,1+0,1
    0,2,2,2+1+0,1+0
    0,2+0,1+0,2+0,?,?

...etc
  • sookie
    sookie
    "A MATHEMATICIAN IS A BLIND MAN IN A DARK ROOM LOOKING FOR A BLACK CAT WHICH ISN'T THERE" -Charles Darwin

Counting the no. of letters in each word of the quote.

1, 13, 2, 1, 5, 3, 2, 1, 4, 4, 7, 3, 1, 5, 3, 5, 4 , 5

Is this the answer ? I counted ISN'T as 4 - not sure. πŸ˜•
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    sookie
    "A MATHEMATICIAN IS A BLIND MAN IN A DARK ROOM LOOKING FOR A BLACK CAT WHICH ISN'T THERE" -Charles Darwin

Counting the no. of letters in each word of the quote.

1, 13, 2, 1, 5, 3, 2, 1, 4, 4, 7, 3, 1, 5, 3, 5, 4 , 5

Is this the answer ? I counted ISN'T as 4 - not sure. πŸ˜•

what a logic sookie..😁 😁
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Sookie Excellent man!!!

@Skipper: After writing as powers of two whats the next step to arrive at the answer??
  • itchap
    itchap
    Excellent logic Sookie!!!πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‰
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Hah! Sookie got it.
  • justaglance
    justaglance
    Really Great sookie
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    excellent sookie
    but can you share with us how you get the answer of this puzzle?
  • skipper
    skipper
    uh huh. How do you have any idea that you can try English words, and the numbers are the numbers of letters? Why not French or Greek, say? Why would you assume it's in a written language?

Good guess though. I suppose if the information was included (that the code is for words in a language), that would help. I was trying to compress the code to see if a pattern existed which was self-referential. That means not finding any pattern would mean having to assume an arbitrary code, which is more or less what English is.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    I totally agree with skipper. Biggie, was a code given as clue? how ever we would associate what sookie said to the sequence what you mentioned?

Sookie,
    any feed-ups here? quite curious to know what prompted you to consider the quote what you had stated.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I was planning to add a hit in case no one cracked it. πŸ˜€ I admit this one wasn't a regular puzzle.
  • sookie
    sookie
    skipper
    uh huh. How do you have any idea that you can try English words, and the numbers are the numbers of letters? Why not French or Greek, say? Why would you assume it's in a written language?
    Sure Good point , you can try German or French or English but do you know any such quote that satisfy the numbers in the given sequence ? If yes, Please let me also know. Also, if you people have any other way to get the answer as 4 and 5. You can surely tell. May be your answer is better logic of solving this sequence Every individual has different thinking logic. :sshhh:

Yep, I know now my answer is 100% right. I confirmed with IBM folks itself. πŸ˜€
  • skipper
    skipper
    Can I ask what led you to guess it was length of English words, just a hunch?
    Actually when you think about it, it would be an obvious thing to eliminate as a possibility; I leapt straight into the idea of a code without thinking how it was encoded already.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hey can any one tell me what is the difference between dual core and core 2 duo... and please tell me what is meaning of Tm...what does it indicate?? πŸ˜•
hey can any one give me any idea on how to write algorithm for the following c code which is the code for various linked list operations such as insertion...
sigh! When I insert a DVD/CD in my inbuilt drive, it just spilts it out! πŸ˜”. The same Disk works awesome in my roomie's computer. I tried to download drivers...
hey the following c code executes properly except case 4.This is the code for polynomial operations using linked list.So can anyone tell me my mistakeπŸ˜” #include #include #include #include int...
click to view Computer Ads but Old age by Mahesh Dahale