IBM Ponder This: November Edition

Source: #-Link-Snipped-#

What is the minimal number, X, of yes/no questions needed to find the smallest (but more than 1*) divisor of a number between 2 and 166 (inclusive)?

We are asking for the exact answer in two cases:

In the worst case, i.e., what is the smallest number X for which we can guarantee finding it in no more than X questions?

On average, i.e., assuming that the number was chosen in uniform distribution from 2 to 166 and we want to minimize the expected number of questions.

* For example, the smallest divisor of 105 is 3, and of 103 is 103.

Update (11/05): You should find the exact divisor without knowing the number and answering "prime" is not a valid.

Replies

• durga ch
    durga ch
    is it 3?

is number divisible by 2
    a. Y - 8,4,6,2 ( any number which is a multiple of these numbers will have least divisor as 2)
    answer = 2
    b. N- 3,5,7,9 ( if not by two then they can have any of these numbers as divisors)
    b.1) is number divisible by 3
    Y - answer = 3
    b.2) is the number divisbile by 5
    Y - answer = 5
    N - answer = 7

if none of above is correct, then number is prime so smallest number divisor apart from 1 is number it self.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    addition:
    its 4

after all the above questions : one more question as:
    is number divisible by 11 😀

I asked my friend to suggest a number and she said 121! pop! it doesnot satify any of the above questions so yeah, its 4
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Actually I didnt understand the question !!

Durga, Can you explain it a bit clearly. 😔
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    ok.
    what i understood is this

you choose a number x between 2 and 169.

now I ask you n number of questions for which you answer yes or no and I have to deduce the minimum divisor what can divide the number based n your 'yes' or 'no'

since we are talking about least divisor, i started with 2 and since any number divisible by 4,6,8 can be divided by 2 we dont peoceed further and decide that its divisible by 2.

i f not divisible by 2 next number u proceed to consider is 3 , and any number which is divisible by 9 will be diviisble by 3 hence you rule out 9 as well.

now left with 5,7 if the number is divisible by 5, then thats the minimum divisor aif not then 7

hence i said in total 3 questison

but later while i was testing it out, i realised that we have a prime number square as well which is 121 and hence fourth question was added.

For exmaple consider number 49
    Q1: is number divisible by 2 - no
    Q2: is number divisible by 3 - no
    Q3: is the number divisible by 5 - no
    hence number is divisible by 7

I am not sure if this is the answer, but this is what i deduced when i read the question.

i

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi CEans.Please give new ideas on making electrical based projects.New ideas with creativity will make me much more happier as i want to do something new for my electrical project...
My friend asked me this question.! Do a java program runs without the main method? If NO, why? What is the need of main method there in the java program?...
as my system after entering password it will start after 10 to 15 min why it is so ???? please any one help me out in this problem😕😕
Source: Wolfram|Alpha PR Team We're pleased to announce that Wolfram|Alpha is at the Web 2.0 Expo. The event takes place November 16-19, 2009, at the Javits Center in New York,...
It is request to all the ceans who visit my website ..Please enter your crazy engineers user name .... and also Please put your problems in this site..i think your...