IBM Ponder This Challenge: January 2010

Source: #-Link-Snipped-#

Present a computation whose result is 5, being a composition of commonly used mathematical functions and field operators (anything from simple addition to hyperbolic arc-tangent functions will do), but using only two constants, both of them 2.

It is too easy to do it using round, floor, or ceiling functions, so we do not allow them.

Update 1/11: You can only use 2 instances of the constant 2, so solutions like (2+2+2/2) is illegal. You can not use variables so (x+x+x+x+x)/x is not allowed. You can use square root and power, but squaring will cost you one "2" and other constant powers are not allowed.

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

if D.C. supply of two positive terminals gifven to the D.C. motor, what action takes place ?
Hi everybody, I have a GPS module which is connected to my PC through Serial Port. Using VB 2008 Express Edition, data received from my GPS model can be displayed...
hello.. do we have devices which implement the concept of virtual ground for there various operations. like i know about opamp-741IC, do we hav ny other Ic or ny other...
Hello Everyone, Please tell me that can we use user controls in ASP.Net as we can use in Windows Applications. Also I have made a project in Windows Applications of...
hi friends.. i have a group discussion to be participated on Feb 1st. so i thought if i have a discussion about that topic beforehand it would help me understand...