I want to Quit IT company. Confused. Please Help!

Hi ....I am an Electrical and Electronics Engineer 2011 currently I am working in well know IT company I want to quit this as early as possible because the kind of work given to me I am not at all interested in it ......I feel that I am wasting my time in this company .....I always wanted to work for core company due some reasons I joined IT.....
I have following plans but I am not sure impacts of these after doing so...
1)I want quit IT as soon as possible and start preparation for GATE because i believe if I crack GATE with good score I will have good opportunities ...i can go for mtech or can join core company....
2)I worried of few things in order to do above things absconding from company is the only option for me .....if i do so don't u think future employer consider this as negative..?
3) if i want to join core company without Mtech who will hire me ..any way my 8 months of IT work experience is not going to count here and I don't have any specific core skill but I do have core subject knowledge ...how I should to fill this 1.5 years of gap...
above all company has a 2 years bond...I am in trouble please suggest....

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Welcome to CE, #-Link-Snipped-#. First of all, the decision you're taking is an important decision and I should be well thought. I'd not recommend quitting your job right away to prepare for GATE. If possible, I'd recommend spending all your spare time in studying than quitting your job. Are you confident of cracking GATE? If yes, then you might just quit and dedicate yourself to studies. But if you have doubts, it'd be better to stick to your present job while you prepare for GATE.

There are several companies that sponsor or offer sabbatical to their employees for higher education. Do check with the HR managers in your company if they have the option and if you're eligible. I believe they'll ask you to complete your 2 year bond first; but it's always good to be sure about the policies.

So to answer your questions -

1. Quit (and break the bond) if GATE is 'THE WAY' you want to go. No one can tell you what happens in future. So evaluate your options and then take a decision.

2. I'd not recommend absconding. You should resign and discuss the matter with concerned officials. It's not going to be a cakewalk for sure but the trouble now may help you in future. Of course, every future employer will want to know how you spent the 8 months after graduation.

I'd recommend respecting the bond and at the same time preparing for GATE part-time. Quit only when you've a good GATE score. I did something similar years ago when I was building CrazyEngineers part time. I'm not blowing my own trumpet - but I did spend 7-8 hours in job and 4-5 working on this hobby project of mine. When you are committed to achieving something; hard-work doesn't look like hard work.

3. Finding a job is going to be a little difficult in current economic situation. If you can, find a job with a smaller company with flexible work timings. It could be easier than you'd think - provided you've a big name behind you at the moment. Once you've the job; you can resign from your company and pay the dues your company will ask for.

So overall, quitting should go down in your priority list and finding an alternate mechanism first (either another job or part-time GATE studies) should go up.

I'd also want you to consider directly looking for a job in the field of your interest. It'd be beneficial to start with a smaller company that offers you a job in the domain of your interest because the learning there will be massive!

PS: Update your engineering discipline in your profile settings, please.
  • micheal john
    micheal john
    The_Big_K you are very good in giving good sugesstion for guys like us (Freshers)

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

CEan - godfather is celebrating his Birthday today. Wishing him a Very Very HapPy Birthday and also Wishing him a Good health, wealth and successful life ๐Ÿ˜€ ๐ŸŽ‰๐ŸŽ‰๐ŸŽ‰ ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜
Maurice Shapero has proposed a cruciform skyscraper in Liverpool, UK. While the details aren't available yet, Shapero says that the shape is his favourite geometrical shape and should not be...
dear friends, very soon zuari will be conducting pool campus placement at VIT vellore for chemical engineering students and i was hoping if you have any of the previous year...
hi !! m ankit ,cse 2nd year student..starting my gate 2015 preperation frm nw onwards. aiming fo rank in top 10. need support of few hard wrking guyz..to strt group...
How can we diff four wheeler's petrol & diesel engine by visually....