I want to make an explosive detctor - how?

I want to make an explosin detector for my final project. I want to make it for a long range detector. Easy to handle and not to expense that every one can buy to save their lives from the Terrirists. It can be against the suicide bombers or any other major explosion. Another major question for me that, is it possible to creat x-rays with help of an isotropic antina or wiith the similar antina.? So.. guys give me some suggession.

Replies

• tashirosgt
    tashirosgt
    Re: I want to make an explosion detctor - how?

Are you talking about an "explosives detector" or an "explosion detector"?

The goals that you are setting for this project are not realistic. Try something more specific and less ambitious.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ

Yes, perhaps a little ambitious, hehe. But we do have an existing discussion regarding explosive detection if you are really interested:

#-Link-Snipped-#
  • freeas2
    freeas2

I am talking about the explosive detector. That can detet all common material that is used in the attacks. for example..sulphre..phosporus..potasium colrate..and many other comon matiral..that can b detect and a man b alert before any major accident.
  • silenthorde
    silenthorde

What use would an explosion detector be of, once the explosion has already occured? Can you illustrate your idea in details.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Alrighty folks, here an old post of mine that might hopefully spark some interest:

TDLAS is usually used for gas detection and whatnot. It has only been recently applied for bomb detection. The usual TDLAS equipment set up is quite elaborate, requiring a pressurized gas chamber to feed the sample gas in, and the laser will need to penetrate through the gas. The receiver on the other end will detect the changes of signal intensity.. and you can pretty much measure a variety of parameters. Obviously you can’t lug all the optics and equipment in the field, but there are now handheld portable versions of the TDLAS which is pretty suitable for “field” operations. The US Army Research lab as done reports on it, but the implementation is still preliminary. We don’t need to have a fully functional TDLAS, just one that can adequately detect the decay products of the nitrate explosive. We can fabricate our own using the optical components easily available in the telecom industry, and hook it up to the computer. The main analysis (FT, etc) will be performed in the comp. MATLAB should be sufficient. Have a couple of low powered (read: safe for the eyes) lasers pointing all over. Hook up a CCD camera, and overlay the image with the laser data. The result? The operator can “see” which object on the screen has potential explosives in it. You can also make the laser/camera/computer system remote and send data “wirelessly” to the Police HQ. This is MUCH safer than shooting x-rays into the public, haha.
    There are still some issues, such as potential interference and how to efficiently get the lasers to reflect back from the background topography.. but should be an okay challenge for crazy engineers [​IMG]
    It would seriously be worth some research and preliminary testing.
  • gohm
    gohm
    I see, I thought the OP was looking to detect the explosions via seismology & pressure. Looks like chemical detection of the explosive material is what is wanted. Thanks Ash for the info. Let's see what we can come up with. Can we create something to compete with trained dogs in both ability and feasibility?
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    With the advent of bio engineering.. could we tweak the sensor receptors of flying insects to detect explosive vapours, and have them be attracted to it? 😀 At least a swarm of them over an object would warrant some investigation.
  • silenthorde
    silenthorde
    Have a look at this. This is called a trace portal. Used for detection of explosives. Even tiny traces of it on your body.

#-Link-Snipped-#
  • silenthorde
    silenthorde
    The same device, but ths is the original patent.

Multiple trace portal detection systems - Syagen Technology
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Interesting stuff, thanks silenthorde.

Lets say the environment is not a centralized port of arrival or departure (such as airports), where it is mandatory to go through check points. What about public places like markets with multiple points of entries?
  • silenthorde
    silenthorde
    ash
    Lets say the environment is not a centralized port of arrival or departure (such as airports), where it is mandatory to go through check points. What about public places like markets with multiple points of entries?

Good point raised Ash....

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hie all, this would be my first electronics project.I want to make a simple wired toy car,which would be able to also steer as i control it from the wired...
Advantages of 3G mobile over 2G mobile systems😕
NAME:K.Dileep Kumar LOCATION:tenali/Andhra Pradesh,India. EDUCATION:I am a student persuing b.tech 3rd year.. BRANCH:Electrical.. WORK EXPERIENCE:not at all.. HOBBIES:Playing cricket,chess,reading books,stories,watching movies,chatting,bike riding,enjoying with friends. AIM:Whatever i have learnt must be...
Hi folks i am working on a case study whos topic is what a worker expect from his manager(behavior) knowledge etc.so tell me some que. and a format for questionaeri...
guys I'm planning to do a paper presentation on six stroke engine..can any one brief me about it..or suggest any websites regarding the topic?