I have a project and would like people to suggest different methods or ideas please?

So I have a school project which includes mechanical and electrical engineering and my idea was to create a water retrieving vehicle that detects water with infra red sensors and also depth so that it can drill into the ground to retrieve water, it will have a drill mounted and a pump aswell, any ideas about different methods to set it up or just ideas in general? no matter how silly. and obviously it will all be computerised.

Replies

• Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Re: I have a project and would like people to suggest different methods or ideas plea

Hi Alain, welcome to CE!

Unfortunately, you cannot detect water with infrared as the rays cannot penetrate the soil. You might want to look into infrasonic sensors that will operate in low frequency. Might be other novel methods available, like measuring temperature differences of the soil to see the likelihood of water underneath or utilizing radar (expensive).. but you'll need to do more research on them.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Welcome to 2 States, a story about Krish and Ananya. They are from two different states of India, deeply in love and want to get married. Of course, their parents...
This question arises in my mind ....Why in CE there is not thread related to Green House effect??As Today Green house effect is a critical issue for our future as...
Hi, Anyone's got LCROSS Video? I've tried searching online but couldn't find any. Please share!
Hey all, I have a joystick connected to my Windows Vista box and I'm trying to read some data about its current position into another program (specifically, the coordinates of...
Search giants Google and Microsoft are both looking to sign a deal with Twitter. The deal would allow the search engines to update their webpage in real time on what...