i have a doubt thyristor is also made of semiconductor material similar to transistor.

but transistor is suitable for low power ratings,thyristor is suitable with high power ratings.why?

Replies

• Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    There are transistors capable of operating even in 1 kV range and So I am not sure about what you mean by high power rating.

DO check this link here buddy of a power transistor
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    If you go through the link very carefully the overall current through the circuit is very minimal resulting in lower power rating. I found this theory interesting but it has been proved "In a transistor Higher current will result in THERMAL RUNAWAY destroying the transistor at higher currents This is due to the reasons both the diodes tend to forward bias at higher voltages and undergo break down easily.

In the case of thyristors very high currents can be supported by the device due to a reverse biased diode in the one of the junctions. This reverse bias cannot be break down very easily and it requires very high power dissipation to cross this break down barrier.

This is why Thyristors support higher current ratings than Transistors
  • satty lavanya
    satty lavanya
    thyristor is nothing but.......scr. and i agree with above explanation

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

because when i shut down my pc that time warning show background program is running so how can i stop ?? is this safe??
i want to make project of elctric machinery . but i an in trouble about chosing topic i want help in chosing topic plz suggest me sites related to electric...
Considering the fact that Indians (and non-Indians) are getting more and more un-healthier each day, thanks to all the upwanted stuff we go through daily, I was wondering if someone...
Bacteria eat some of the weirdest things for which we should all be deeply grateful. Some of the things on a bacterian McDonald's can be found here; https://www.mentalfloss.com/blogs/archives/131918
A huge black hole has been found at the centre of the galaxy NGC 1277. There are other even more massive ones around. What makes this special is that unlike...