I got an opportunity at a start up to shift from testing to development. Should I take it?

I'm a B.tech fresher from Civil Engineering. However, I completed a certified course in SQL and Manual Testing and got placed as a QA Intern at a growing startup. 

I'm simultaneously learning Selenium and Core Java. Today, a senior at work offered me an opportunity to shift from testing to development depending on my grasping skills of Python! 

I'm confused whether i should make this move or not? I'm scared of coding and don't know much. It's been 2 months as a QA Intern where i mainly work on dashboards and manual testing. Please help me out. 

Replies

• Mohit Patil
    Mohit Patil

Nothing to be worried about or scared about programming. Your office is flexible and if they are offering you an opportunity you should grab it if you think it's a better opportunity than your career track. 

To grow in manual testing you will have to pick up automation anyway which involves scripting. Take the opportunity and see if it works out for you. If it does not, it's easier to switch back to testing than move to programming or developer role after gaining experience as a software testing engineer. 

• Siddharth Sikri
    Siddharth Sikri

So as I said, I’m a QA Intern who has good knowledge in SQL and Manual Testing. I’m learning Core Java and Selenium on weekends. Another senior employee offered me to switch from QA to Development to hopefully start working on ERP project using python based on my learning and skills. 

I’m more inclined towards QA because of my Gaines knowledge and currently also gaining knowledge. But am also interested in learning python. What should I do? Does being in both fields affect my career in a bad way? I’m a 2018 passsout and it’s been 2 months since I’m interning. I’m confused to the core! 

• saandeep sreerambatla
    saandeep sreerambatla

You can switch to python happily and if you still want to learn selenium, learn it using python as the language instead of core java.

Moving into python based / development is always good because you are at very initial stage of your career and if you switch now it helps.

I have also moved from QA to python but after 11 years of testing. It will be a bit tough initially but eventually you can grasp it.

• DM update
    DM update

If you are interested in development and keen to lean development , i think you should not miss this chance. 

Good Luck :)

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Electropages says: Triboelectrics is the generation of electricity from friction and it could become a new power source for electronic devices. The friction could be as simple as a finger...
if I apply embedded design what is the processe of section B. if i dont,t know about java and os  in section b in cdac
Technical events for electronics and communication engineering 
I'm currently a btech 1st yr student and wish to explore management as well as programming areas.....how do I manage myself to extract out the best possible methods to gain...