I don't know what to do anymore, please help

Hello,

I need some useful advices please help me, I'm from Algeria, finished my studies two years ago, engineer in cs, I'm working as a programmer in php, but I'm only using a pseudo language created by my manager and based on php, I feel that I'm learning nothing, only HIS platform and I don't have access to all its parts, I'm even forgetting what I've learnt! I'm tired of this job, seriously if it wasn't for money I would quit, and my question guys is what should I do?? I feel like I know nothing! I once wanted to be an Oracle DBA so I studied alone but decided that I won't try the certification exam until I'm sure that I'll continue on this path, I feel lost, can you please guide me? tell me what's on the market, should I get back to java programming? or learn python or dot net? I'm so confused, I can't believe that I left myself sink to this situation
I really hope that you can give me useful advices, I'm asking people around me and all I see is that everyone is feeling as lost as me 😔

Thanks, and sorry for the complaints
Best regards,

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Hey yassou, welcome to CE. With a background in CS and PHP experience, there's nothing to worry at all. The first step to make a change is to identify the domain you'd like to make your career in. If you're fascinated by any of the programming languages; you should focus your attention and start building your skills part time. No one can advice you which language to pick - as it has to by in sync with your interests.

The second step would be to build some expertise in it - which can be done by working on open source products in the domain of your interest. Once you're confident of your skills, start looking for a job and I'd highly recommend targeting startup companies. They may not offer more salary than what you're making, but no company can offer you the skills your'll develop working for a startup.

I'm quite excited to see the developments going on with PHP. If you can't quit your current job; there are thousands of projects in the open source world where you can hone your skills.

I hope this helps and gives your the initial kick that you need. We're always here to help 😀
  • yassou
    yassou
    Oh thank you so much, I thought that my question was so stupid that it wasn't even worth replying
    I don't know which language I really like, I did many trainings so different from one another, at each time I thought that I've found what I was looking for, I did some business intelligence, java programming, oracle administration and then php programming, you see I'm not even sure on the field I should follow
    You're totally right, I think I should focus on PHP and work on open source projects, at least I'll give it a go and see afterwards
    I'm always targeting startups, hence those different experiences (each time the company went bankruptcy :s ) I just need to choose what to do for once, so far I was taking what was offered to me because I had to work, I believe that choosing what's needed the most by the market will make me feel more at ease
    Thanks again for your advices, you motivated me, I think that I need a mentor 😀
    Any other advices are welcome I need some kicks in the a** and get a hold of myself to plan my carrier seriously

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi, I am trying to create a WebService client using WAS 5 and RAD 7. The Webservice requires some hard coded authentication details in the SOAP header . Can anyone...
Michio Kaku sees two major trends in the world today: the first is toward a multicultural, scientific, tolerant society; the other, as evidenced by terrorism, is fundamentalist and monocultural. Whichever...
Independent inventor; mechanically inclined; worked on cars and obsessed with mechanical problem solving. Had an idea 15 years ago, but it was put on the back burner due to life....
hi, can anybody tell me how to prepare for cdac dac entrance exam means from where i can find sample papers and 1 confusion is there any english section as...
An amazing, almost unbelievable act. Hannold climbing Yosemite with just his hand hold. No ropes or other protection! FORA.tv - Climbing Yosemite