I am Mechanical Engineer, I want to know about fundamentals of electricity

I have following questions

p=VI

If a power generated from a gas turbine is 300 megawatt, then what is the value of V & I in this power, and what when it is flowing from wire suppose 32kva, 11kva?
how can we measure the capacity of a conductor for electrical power flow

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    I am afraid that there is some confusion with volts , amperes and watts.
    The VA rating of a generator gives the maximum power output from that.
    In this case 300 megawatt (300 million VA).
    Divide this by the voltage to get the amperage. Size of the cable will depend on the ampere output.
    Ample data available on the net.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    VA is actually power generated It is the reactive power generated in the generator.

And kVA means Kilo volt ampere.

And KW is the power consumed in the device it stands for Kilowatts
  • lal
    lal
    Conqueror
    VA is actually power generated It is the reactive power generated in the generator.

And kVA means Kilo volt ampere.

And KW is the power consumed in the device it stands for Kilowatts
    VA infact is the total power(apparent power) generated.
    VAR is the reactive power component and
    Watts is the real power.

VA^2 = VAR^2+W^2

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

WHAT IS THE MINIMUM ALLOWABLE SIZE OF GI PIPE CONNECTING TO THE DRAINAGE SPOUT OF FLYOVER (IN RAJASTHAN REGION) AS PER I S CODES .
In a latest move the IIT council last week approved a hike in fees up to an extent of 80% for BTech programs. Still it is claimed that the hike...
I do not know how much of this is hype. But Infosys seems to have done something interesting in this exercise of Pervasive Computing.
I have interested in learning the programming for robots. I want to move the robots by my programming.so, for which what programming language should i learn and what is the...
Few days ago I wrote an exam of Engineering Graphics. Total marks = 70, Problems I can solve = 70. But because of the time limit, I was unable to...