I am a student who is interested in power engineering

Hi guys,

I am a student from the US who is going into second year at a tech University and I am interested in becoming a power engineer after I finish my 4 year and obtain a bachelor degree in Electrical Engineering.

I would like to consult and know more about this career option from other fellow engineers who may or may not be working in the power industry. Note: I do not know much about power engineering so please fill me in on the deficiencies of my knowledge!

• First of all, I would just like to know what I should know before I try to get a job in this field. Would I need a working knowledge in PLC, VLSI, programming in assembly, or even perhaps a working knowledge in electromagnetism? Please recommend me any courses that you found applicable to working as an engineer or texts if there are any.
  • Secondly, please tell me what are the most frequent tools that are used in power engineering and how I can get some practice with these tools before I graduate. For example, maybe a GUI application written in C? AutoCad drawing in 3D?
  • Thirdly, please inform me as to the extend of activities for which a power engineer may come in contact with in the actual work field. Would I have to fix something hand on?
  • Lastly, a brief background: I have only learned few aspects in electrical circuitry, very little about transformers. I have great skills in mathematics (a hobby of mine). My knowledge of circuits does not extend beyond microelectronic circuits (FETs and BJTs). I am proficient with several programming languages: C, C++, Java, Python and MATLAB). I can use Excel, Pspice, and AutoCad if I wanted and I know how to work with Latex. I have my eyes on FE certificate and I will probably get a PE certificate in the distant future. But these hardly justifies a career in engineering. Please advise me as to how I should improve my chances to land a job in the future. For example, what should I do as an intern to gain insights in this field?
I know this is really long but thanks in advance for anyone who takes the time to answer!! Thanks!!

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Name:Shubham Arjun More Engineering Trade:mechanical Location: satara current location: warananagar,kolhapur Occupation:B.E student Hobbies & Interests: sketching,painting,singing,listening songs. Aim in life: to be a top most design engineer. I joined CrazyEngineers...
Sir, please give me some idea about any new technology for my mega project, BE ECE.. Thank You
please help me in project work.i m thinking of doing project on "analysis of dynamic gear".will it be helpful for me?
please help me for building project in java i want to build project based on cloud computing,so give me suggestions about project topic and how should I develop it.
i am in last year of BE mechanical.suggest me a topic for seminar.