hydrogen-cooled generator

Hi,
Can someone help me in this matter:

I would like to know if it is possible to use air instead of hydrogen in a hydrogen-cooled generator. If it is possible, what would be the conditions to do it. If not please justify your answer (e.g. safety reasons, efficiency, what can go wrong, etc.)

Thanks

Replies

• Jishnu Gupta
    Jishnu Gupta
    Heyy dude..look broda.....
    lemme 1st tll ya d reasnz y we use H2 intead of normal air
    Firstly lemme start with an example you have seen bike engines say upto 300cc dey all are air cooled ryt now take a look at a basic car engine say maruti 800 is it air cooled to......???????? no we use a coolent ryt....y d reason is the generated heat. Heat is d most important factor in deciding the coolent material so as far as a generator is concerned u can uslf imagine d amount of heat generated........
    Nw here r d reasons y we use hydrogen
    V.imp is its low density secondly high specific heat then highest thermal conductivity at 0.168 W/(m·K) of all gases; it is 7-10 times better coolant than air(wich i think your question for replacement of hydrogen)
    Another very important feature is that its easy detection by hydrogen sensors.
    A hydrogen-cooled generator can be significantly smaller, and therefore less expensive, than an air-cooled one.

Hope ma answer satisfies your question frnd.....😀
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    @Jishnu: Please do not use SMS language on CE Forums.
  • narayana murthy
    narayana murthy
    Jishnu is right i support his answer
  • baja
    baja
    Jishnu is absolutely right. But I want to add one more point. Cooling in an machine is nothing but to reduce Hot Spot Temperature(HST) of the windings. Only HST limits the capacity of a machine. If u use air then the heat carried away by the air is less than that of hydrogen. So hot spot ll be attained for lower loads hence decreasing machine capacity.
  • DanielEMccarty
    DanielEMccarty
    I was extremely happy to locate this webwebsite.I wanted to thank you with regard to this terrific read!! I certainly appreciated every little bit of it and I've you bookmarked to look at new things you publish.
  • dheerajkvs
    dheerajkvs
    Thanks for the question IF007 i have learnt something new with your help
  • Ron Prakhar
    Ron Prakhar
    i am also satisfy with this answer.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

The spot features a pint-sized Darth Vader who uses the Force when he discovers the all-new 2012 Passat in the driveway. It leverages humor and the unforgettable Star Wars™ score...
I stumbled upon a great short video by Amazon Co-Founder Jeff Bezos and loved the simple words in which he explains 'what to do'. It's not necessary a part of...
CEans, We have an active discussion going on our CE-Forum about:* Why aren’t engineers thinking about entrepreneurship? Presenting to you the story of an engineer from IIT Delhi who founded...
hi I'm shame from Philippines a Civil Engineering student, hope you'll accept me as a friend in this site. It's a pleasure to me to be here.
What is the difference between offshoring and outsourcing? What country is the best regarding about offshoring and outsourcing?