Hydraulics

Hey ,
Please explain me Hydraulics.

Actually I am an Electrical Engineers but eager to know about Hydraulics.

Regards,
VIPUL

Replies

• abhishek1814
    abhishek1814
    Hyadraulics is nothing but pressure induced due to fluid.Take an example of a JCB. Now the arms of of the machine make use of hydraulics.Whenever they dig the ground,the force required is provide by fulid or water.In some malls you might have seen the HI FI lifts,without any sound and all.Some of them make use of water to restrain the opposing force.
  • d_vipul
    d_vipul
    @abhishek

I know that much only.
    But i want to know how the pressure is created??
    Which types of fluids can be used??
    What is the actual system???

That i want to know......

Regards,
    VIPUL
  • abhishek1814
    abhishek1814
    Fluids can be any one,mostly water is used.Usually a low viscosity fuild is used. See the basic principle is force that is applied at one point is transmitted to another point using an incompressible fluid.I cant do a drawing out here else I would have explained you nicely. Anyways consider a pipe filled with a fluid(it may be water,oil,petrol etc).Now consider that two vessels are fitted on it,filled half with same fluid.Now These vessels are fitted with piston each.If you press one piston then other piston will jump from other side.These is due to the pressure by other piston.This induced pressure is transmittted to other vessel using a fluid.I hope you got a bit idea of it.
  • obsilon
    obsilon
    d_vipul
    @abhishek

I know that much only.
    But i want to know how the pressure is created??
    Which types of fluids can be used??
    What is the actual system???

That i want to know......

Regards,
    VIPUL
    Pressure = Force x Area subjected to force,

I believe you know this formula right?

That is how the pressure comes when we apply force on a particular surface area, the force of coz can be from various aspects.

The most typical fluid that being used in the hydraulic system are oil and water.
    Anyway to most people, hydraulics means oil hydraulics. This should come as no surprise, considering the overwhelming majority of hydraulic systems actually use oil as the hydraulic fluid. Oil came to dominate hydraulics technology because its higher viscosity and lubricity pose less of a challenge to design and manufacture components that achieve long life and exhibit high volumetric efficiency. Water hydraulics, therefore, generally had been relegated to applications requiring highly fire-resistant or even fireproof hydraulic characteristics — foundries and hot rolling mills, for example. Even these systems, though, almost always employ additives to impart some degree of lubricity to the water. These solutions most often are composed of 95% water with 5% additives.

In fact, water hydraulics is more efficient than oil. The main advantages of water are obvious. In contrast to oil, water is not flammable and is absolutely environment friendly. These properties make water hydraulics ideal for applications in which fire prevention and environmental protection are top priorities. However, other characteristics of water give it distinct advantages over oil. Also, water has a lower viscosity than oil. Therefore, when either fluid flows though the same size orifice at the same flow rate, water will undergo a substantially lower pressure drop. This means — with all other factors equal — water can transmit power through a system more efficiently than oil can. Or water can transmit the same power as oil, but in a smaller space. This means water-hydraulic systems hold potential for higher power density than oilbased systems. Besides, water also transfers heat more effectively than oil does. This means a water-hydraulic system with the same heat generation as an oil-based system would require a smaller heat exchanger. Finally, water exhibits a lower film strength than oil, so water is less likely to retain bubbles. Therefore, problems from foaming are less likely to occur with water hydraulics.

About the actual system of the hydraulics, abhishek1814 had already explained to you. 😀
  • vidyanatarajan
    vidyanatarajan
    Hydraulics machines can convert either hydraulic energy(energy possessed by water) into mechanical energy(which is further converted in to electrical energy) or mechanical energy into hydraulic energy.
    Hydraulic machines consist of study of turbines and pumps.
    Turbines :hydraulic machine which converts the hydraulic energy into mechanical energy .
    pumps:hydraulic machine which converts the mechanical energy into hydraulic energy .
    turbains consist of mainly study of pelton turbine, francis turbine , and kaplan turbine while pumps consist of study of centrifugal pump and reciprocating pump.
  • ansitsi
    ansitsi
    Hydraulic
    Fluid mechanics can get the book by providing information. If you made a short statement, incompressible fluid properties by using Pascal's law (of course this law, explanatory) generates the force to move the cylindrical or planar power (torque) is called the production processes such as systems built. The main parts of the system, hydraulic motors, hydraulic pumps, tanks, valves (check valve) consists of such elements.
    Osman KINIK
  • wasserhydraulik
    wasserhydraulik
    Dear all,

Every body has given a long bit of explanation to vipul but none have answered the basic question he wanted to learn.

Well vipul here it goes,

Hydraulics is all about foreces and areas,

Pressure is created by providing obstruction to flow. you can experience this through a small experiment, you take a ballon cut open at the opposite end to the air blow hole.

Connect the baloon to the tap and allow water to flow through

wjile the water is blowing through try blocking the flow from the open end, there you have bulging of ballon, thus creating pressure,

best regard
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    Read R.K.Bansal,R.S.Khurmi, of hydraulics

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi guys, though i've joined the forum an year ago, i was not a frequent visitor. So I would like to introduce myself again. I'm Elanchezhian, 19 yrs old, male....
How to make plastics so hard such that it can withstand voltage above 66kV. Durability: above 7+ years Please Help Me. Regards, VIPUL
Hi i have seen a unbelievable thing which i haven't believed yet. I want you all to introduce with "NAREEPOL TREE", it is a tree which gives it's fruit in...
Is Windows 7 is getting more popularity than Windows XP in common people usage ? 😉
what is actually the god mode in window 7 ???????plsssssss explain in detail about its functionality in windows 7